|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual; hairs generally bristly, often bulbous-based. Stem: generally erect, 2–12 dm, generally green. Leaf: basal and cauline, alternate, sessile or lower short-petioled, generally linear to narrow-lanceolate or -oblong, generally not succulent, ± entire. Inflorescence: spike-like cymes, generally ± terminal, tip coiled. Flower: generally radial; calyx lobes 5 or 2–4 (see key); corolla tube generally not constricted, generally orange or yellow (red-orange), appendages generally 0, throat generally open, glabrous, limb on large-flowered taxa generally with 5 dark spots. Fruit: nutlets erect, ± triangular, adaxially generally with exposed elliptic attachment scar, generally with rounded or sharp tubercles.
14 species: western North America, southwestern South America, widely alien elsewhere. (W. Amsinck, patron of Hamburg Botanic Garden, 1752–1831) Self-compatible; often heterostylous; large-flowered taxa generally cross-pollinated, small-flowered self-pollinated.
Unabridged references: [Ray & Chisaki 1957 Amer J Bot 44:529–554; Suksdorf 1931 Werdenda 1:47–113; Kelley & Seiber 1992 Phytochemistry 31:2369–2387]
1. Calyx lobes unequal in width, 2–4 from fusion below middle, notched at tip; corolla tube generally 20-veined near base; nutlet generally smooth, cobblestone-like, or round-tubercled (except Amsinckia spectabilis var. spectabilis)
2. Stem glabrous to sparse-coarse-hairy, glaucous, ± white to pink below; leaf glaucous; nutlet smooth, adaxially with longitudinal slit-like groove, attachment scar hidden
3. Corolla 12–22 mm, limb 8–14 mm diam, generally orange; generally heterostylous; nutlet 3–4 mm, ovate, groove forked at base ..... A. furcata
3' Corolla 8–12 mm, limb 2–6(8) mm diam, yellow (to orange-yellow); homostylous; nutlet 4–6 mm, lanceolate, groove unforked at base ..... A. vernicosa
2' Stem hairy, not glaucous, ± green below; leaf not glaucous; nutlet smooth, cobblestone-like, or tubercled, adaxially without slit-like groove, attachment scar exposed
4. Nutlet 1.5–2 mm, ± black; leaf fine-toothed; stem generally decumbent; coastal dunes or occasionally sandy bluffs ..... A. spectabilis var. spectabilis (2)
4' Nutlet 2.5–5 mm, gray to brown; leaf entire; stem erect to ascending; inland
5. Corolla 14–22 mm, limb 10–16 mm diam; heterostylous
6. Nutlet gray, dull, cobblestone-like; corolla yellow-orange; South Coast Ranges, w Western Transverse Ranges ..... A. douglasiana
6' Nutlet ± brown, smooth, shiny; corolla red-orange; nw San Joaquin Valley ..... A. grandiflora
5' Corolla 8–16 mm, limb 2–10 mm diam; homostylous ..... A. tessellata
7. Corolla 12–16 mm, limb 6–10 mm diam; anthers not appressed to, generally below stigma ..... var. gloriosa
7' Corolla 8–12 mm, limb 2–6 mm diam; anthers appressed to stigma ..... var. tessellata
1' Calyx lobes ± equal in width, 5, not fused above base (except Amsinckia spectabilis var. spectabilis); corolla tube 10-veined near base; nutlet generally sharp-tubercled, often ridged
8. Nutlet 1–2 mm; leaf ± succulent, fine-toothed ..... A. spectabilis
9. Stem erect; calyx lobes not fused above base; nutlet 1–1.5 mm; heterostylous ..... var. microcarpa
9' Stem generally decumbent; calyx lobes generally 2–3, ± 1/2-fused; nutlet 1.5–2 mm; heterostylous or homostylous ..... var. spectabilis (2)
8' Nutlet 2–4 mm; leaf not succulent, generally entire
10. Corolla bilateral, tube bent, limb generally with 2 dark spots ..... A. lunaris
10' Corolla radial, tube straight, limb with 0 or 5 dark spots
11. Corolla throat ± closed by 5 hairy appendages, tube constricted in lower 1/2; stamens attached below middle of corolla tube, style included ..... A. lycopsoides
11' Corolla throat open, glabrous, appendages 0, tube not constricted; stamens generally attached above middle of corolla tube, if below then style exserted
12. Corolla 10–20 mm, limb 8–14 mm diam; style generally ± exserted; anthers not appressed to, generally below stigma (if stigma at bottom 1/3 of tube, then anthers above stigma, at throat) ..... A. eastwoodiae
12' Corolla 4–11 mm, limb 1–10 mm diam; style not exserted; anthers generally appressed to stigma
13. Stem erect, ± gray, appressed to reflexed hairs below present; leaf ± gray, hairs appressed to ascending; corolla ± yellow ..... A. retrorsa
13' Stem decumbent to erect, green to brown, appressed to reflexed hairs below ± 0; leaf green, hairs ± not appressed to ascending; corolla ± orange
14. Stem ascending to erect; corolla 7–11 mm, limb 4–10 mm diam, ± orange, tube exserted ..... A. intermedia
14' Stem decumbent to ± ascending; corolla 4–7 mm, limb 1–3 mm diam, yellow to orange-yellow, tube ± exserted ..... A. menziesii
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.