UC/JEPS: Raymund Chan, CV
Department of Botany
National Museum of Natural History
Career Goal: “To make a significant contribution towards our understanding of plants.”
Research Interests: Plant molecular systematics, phylogenetics, the evolution of higher plants, plant morphology.
Experience & Skills
- Author/co-author of 20+ peer reviewed journal papers and book chapters.
- 20+ years laboratory bench experience in molecular and cell biology. Familiar with many molecular and non-molecular techniques including: manual/automated and radioactive/non-radioactive DNA sequencing; commercial (e.g. Affymetrix, Illumina) and spotted microarrays; use of RAPD markers and starch gel electrophoresis of isozymes for studying population genetics; PCR, cloning, and recombinant DNA techniques; scanning and transmission electron microscopy. In-depth knowledge of current biosafety guidelines and practices.
- 8+ years teaching experience in undergraduate/graduate/public education. Specializing in the teaching of Introductory Biology/Botany courses and labs. Revised and updated the Plant Diversity lab exercises in the Introductory Biology 1B Lab Manual used at the University of Californa, Berkeley (required reading by 500+ biology majors each semester).
- 4+ years software/hardware experience mainly in the Macintosh environment. Comprehensive knowledge of current computer and information technology usage. Able to troubleshoot/maintain Macintosh/PC hardware/software/networks and provide software/hardware technical support and instruction. Competent in BASIC, C, COBOL, Pascal, and HyperCard/SuperCard programming languages. Working knowledge of webpage design and development.
- Associate Professor (Contract), Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Biosciences and Bioengineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. 2008–2009.
- Application Specialist, Microarray Centre, Biopolis Shared Facilities, Biomedical Sciences Institutes, Singapore. 2005–2008.
- Senior Research Scientist, Department of Experimental Surgery, Singapore General Hospital. 2004–2005.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Botany, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu. 2001–2003.
- Lecturer, Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley. 2001.
- Graduate Student Instructor (Step IV), Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley. 1995–2000.
- Research Assistant, Department of Biology, The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque. 1993–1994.
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Biology, The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque. 1992.
- Software Engineer, Institute of Systems Science, National University of Singapore. 1990–1992.
- Research Technician, Department of Botany, National University of Singapore. 1989.
- Served two and a half years National Service in the army. Outstanding Certificate of Service upon completion of service.
- Short Term Visitor Fellowship, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC. 2005.
- National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Botany, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu. 2001–2003.
- Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor, Biology 1B, University of California, Berkeley. 2002.
- Summer Research Fellowships, Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley. 1997–99.
- Research grants from the Lawrence R. Heckard Endowment Fund, Jepson Herbarium, University of California, Berkeley. 1996 & 1998.
- California Native Plant Society (East Bay Chapter) Scholarship. 1996.
- Arthur Andersen Book Prize for Best Internship Project, Institute of Systems Science, National University of Singapore. 1990.
Language skills: English (written/spoken); Mandarin, Malay (spoken only).
- Admissions & Fellowships Committee, Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley. 1998.
- Computer Committee, Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley. 1996–98.
- Graduate Policy Committee, Department of Biology, The University of New Mexico. 1993–94.
- Computer Use Committee, Department of Biology, The University of New Mexico. 1992–94.
- Completed Junior Outbound School Course. Singapore. 1981.
Hobbies: N scale model railroading, classical music audiophile, and freshwater aquaria.
References: Research, teaching, and/or personal referees available upon request.
Return to Staff Directory
University & Jepson Herbaria Home Page |
General Information |
University Herbarium |
Jepson Herbarium |
Visiting the Herbaria |
On-line Resources |
This page last updated 10th May 2012