Plant Identification Service
Send specimens by mail:
- The Jepson Herbarium now offers a plant identification service.
- Plant Identifications include determination of plant name, statement about toxicity and weediness, geographic distribution, and if needed, library research.
- Fees are determined on an hourly basis, with a 1-hour minimum charge of $75. After the first hour, the fee will be applied in 20-minute intervals.
- Wrap the specimen in newspaper and place it between two pieces of cardboard.
- Include information on where the specimen was collected including habitat information, county, nearest town, and approximate elevation.
- Include the following contact information: name, address, telephone number, and email address.
- Please indicate if an official letter should be provided with determinations.
- Mail the specimen to: Margriet Wetherwax, Jepson Herbarium, 1001 VLSB #2465, Berkeley, CA 94720-2465.
Use our convenient drop in service:
- Upon arrival at the Jepson Herbarium, dried specimens will be frozen for seven days before they are examined.
- Once the plant specimens have been identified, you will be contacted. The specimens, a list of determinations, and an invoice will be mailed to you. Payment will be due within 30 days of receipt of the invoice.
For more information, please contact Margriet Wetherwax (510) 643-7008 or email@example.com
- Please call and schedule an appointment with Margriet Wetherwax (510) 643-7008 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Depending on the number of specimens, you may be able to wait for identifications.
- When you come to the Herbarium, please bring the specimens and all of the information requested above.