James Edward Moxon 1822-1890
Is one of three Moxon botanists in the Charterhouse School herbarium. He was born on April 19th 1822 and his early collections in the herbarium are from Norfolk He moved to South Africa to start a settlement in 1843. Correspondence with Sir William Jackson Hooker shows that he made collections of both living and preserved plants. His collections in GOD are some of the most geographically disjunct coming also from Saint Helena and North America. He died on the 14th of April 1890 and is buried in Farncombe cemetery. His wife, Louisa Sarah Moxon donated his herbarium to Charterhouse School, the majority of which was given to the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, as it contained a considerable number of "exotic specimens" and that due to space constraints the school had limited accessions to British species. It was his children, Alfred Edward and Louisa Moxon that bequested thirty thousand pounds in 1915 to Kew to further the study of botany. The money became available at the death of Alfred in 1930. It eventually became known as the Bentham-Moxon Trust.