|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual to shrub, glabrous.
Inflorescence: generally terminal cymes, bracted.
Flower: sepals 5; petals 5, deciduous or persistent, generally ± yellow; anthers occasionally black-dotted; ovary chambers 1 or 3(5), placentas 3(5), axile or parietal, projecting into chamber.
± 450 species: worldwide. (Greek name) [Robson 2002 Bull Nat Hist Mus London, Bot 32:61–123]
1. Petals < 5 mm; styles 1–1.5 mm; fruit chamber 1, placenta parietal
2. Plant prostrate to decumbent, 3–30 cm; flower branches near stem tips; leaves below inflorescence elliptic to ± round, 4–15 mm, abruptly reduced above lowest flower branches ..... H. anagalloides
2' Plant ± erect, 20–60 cm; flower branches from mid-stem or lower; leaves below inflorescence elliptic to ovate, 10–25 mm, slightly reduced above lowest flower branches ..... H. mutilum subsp. mutilum
1' Petals > 5 mm; styles 2–20 mm; fruit chambers 3, placentas axile
3. Perennial from taproot, rhizome, or woody caudex
4. Lf linear to lanceolate, generally folded, tip acute; stem from woody caudex ..... H. concinnum
4' Lf ± elliptic to ovate or oblong, not folded, tip obtuse; stem from taproot or rhizome
5. Lf narrowly oblong; sterile axillary branches generally 2–10 cm; fruit unlobed ..... H. perforatum subsp. perforatum
5' Lf ovate to elliptic; sterile axillary branches generally < 2 cm; fruit 3-lobed ..... H. scouleri
3' Evergreen shrub or subshrub
6. Petals <= 10 mm, <= sepals ..... [H. androsaemum]
6' Petals > 10 mm, 2–4 × sepals
7. St 1 or few-branched; flowers generally 1(3) per stem ..... H. calycinum
7' St many-branched; flowers generally > 1 per branch
8. Lvs sessile, narrowly lance-oblong; petals 12–17 mm ..... H. canariense
8' Lvs petioled, petiole 1–4 mm; leaves ovate to broadly lanceolate; petals 15–30 mm ..... [H. hookerianum]
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.