|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
(Latin: horse, bristle, from roots of Equisetum fluviatile L.)
1. Stem branches regular
2. Basal internode of branch > subtending nodal sheath ..... E. arvense (2)
2' Basal internode of branch < subtending nodal sheath
3. Sheath teeth 5–10 ..... E. palustre (2)
3' Sheath teeth 14–28 on sterile stem, 20–30 on fertile stem ..... E. telmateia subsp. braunii (2)
1' Stem branches 0 or irregular
4. Stem brown, fleshy, lasting < 1 month irregularly in spring
5. Sheath teeth 6–14 on sterile stem, 6–10 on fertile stem ..... E. arvense (2)
5' Sheath teeth 14–28 on sterile stem, 20–30 on fertile stem ..... E. telmateia subsp. braunii (2)
4' Stem green, firm, lasting > 1 month
6. Spores white, misshapen ..... E. ×ferrissii
6' Spores green, spheric
7. Sheath teeth 5–10, persistent ..... E. palustre (2)
7' Sheath teeth 10–50, generally deciduous
8. Cone tip pointed; sheath generally with 2 dark bands, 1 at base, 1 at tip; stem perennial herb, generally scabrous ..... E. hyemale subsp. affine
8' Cone tip rounded; sheath generally with 1 dark band, at tip; stem annual (perennial herb in s), generally not scabrous ..... E. laevigatum
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.