|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Perennial or generally annual, hairy.
Leaf: cauline, generally alternate, simple, margin crenate-dentate or generally entire, wavy, flat, or rolled under.
Inflorescence: heads or generally clusters, terminal, not coiled, or flowers 1–2 in leaf axils; bracts 0 or generally leaf-like.
Flower: calyx generally free from ovary; corolla salverform to bell-shaped, occasionally cylindric; stamens generally attached to corolla at different levels, generally unequal, part fused to corolla generally narrow-winged, scales at base 0; styles 1–2.
Fruit: generally loculicidal, ovoid to elliptic.
Seed: generally many, small, red-brown, brown, black, or yellow to orange.
± 55 species: sw US, tropical America, HI. (Greek: a stream) Nama lobbii A. Gray now in Eriodictyon.
Unabridged references: [Ferguson 1998 Syst Bot 23:253–268; Hitchcock 1933 Amer J Bot 20:415–430, 518–534]
1. Perennial; flowers in heads; leaf crenate-dentate ..... N. rothrockii
1' Annual; flowers in clusters or 1–2 in leaf axils; leaf entire
2. Calyx fused to ovary in lower 1/3–1/2; leaf margins wavy, generally ± rolled under ..... N. stenocarpum
2' Calyx free from ovary; leaf margins flat or rolled under, not wavy
3. Corolla 1–3 mm, bowl- or bell-shaped, basal tube ± 0.5 mm; styles 2; seeds <= 4 ..... N. californicum
3' Corolla > 2 mm, if bowl- or bell-shaped then basal tube 0 or indistinct; styles 1–2; seeds > 4
4. Style 1, lobed < 1/2 length ..... N. aretioides
5. Style 3–7 mm ..... var. multiflorum
5' Style 0.3–2.5 mm
6. Corolla limb > 3.5 mm diam, lobes >= 2 mm wide ..... var. californicum
6' Corolla limb < 3.5 mm diam, lobes < 2 mm wide ..... N. densum
7. Plant gray-canescent, hairs generally spreading, rough; style 0.3–1 mm ..... var. densum
7' Plant green, hairs generally sparse-bristly-strigose; style (0.6)1–2.5 mm ..... var. parviflorum
4' Styles 2
8. Corolla limb < 4 mm diam
9. Calyx lobes glandular ..... N. dichotomum var. dichotomum
9' Calyx lobes nonglandular
10. Lf sessile; sepals generally pale green; corolla funnel-shaped or salverform; seeds oblong to ovoid, ± cross-ridged ..... N. depressum
10' Lf petioled; sepals white- or gray-canescent at least in basal 1/3–1/2; corolla cylindric to ± funnel-shaped; seeds irregular, ± net-like ..... N. pusillum
8' Corolla limb 5–14 mm diam
11. St ascending to erect; seeds fusiform, yellow to orange ..... N. hispidum var. spathulatum
11' St prostrate; seeds spheric to ovoid, brown to black ..... N. demissum
12. Lf petioled, elliptic to diamond-shaped; plant generally gray-green ..... var. covillei
12' Lf sessile, linear to spoon-shaped; plant generally green ..... var. demissum
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.