|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Perennial to shrub.
Stem: prostrate to ascending or erect; bark shredding.
Leaf: simple, cauline, alternate.
Inflorescence: generally open, terminal.
Flower: corolla funnel- to urn-shaped, white, lavender, or purple, generally hairy abaxially; stamens included, filaments generally hairy; ovary chambers 2, styles 2, generally hairy.
Fruit: 1–3 mm wide; valves 4.
Seed: striate, dark brown or black.
11 species: sw US, Mex. (Greek: wool net, from abaxial leaves) [Ferguson 1998 Syst Bot 23:253–268]
Unabridged etymology: (Greek: erio, wool, plus dictyon, net, from abaxial leaves)
Unabridged references: [Hannan 1988 Amer J Bot 75:579–588]
1. Plant low per or subshrub, stems woody at base or not
2. Plant subshrub, stem erect, 1–3 m ..... E. parryi
2' Plant perennial herb, stem prostrate to ascending, 0.16–0.5 m ..... E. lobbii
1' Plant shrub, stems woody
3. Calyx, corolla stalked-glandular abaxially; corolla urn-shaped, ± constricted at throat
4. Calyx lobes 2.5–4 mm, dense-long-hairy, stalked glands fewer than hairs; corolla 3–5 mm, tube exceeding calyx by < 2 mm ..... E. tomentosum
4' Calyx lobes 4–5 mm, moderate-hairy, stalked glands as many as hairs; corolla 6–10 mm, tube exceeding calyx by > 2 mm ..... E. traskiae
5. Petiole 10–20 mm; leaf blade elliptic, 1.5–4 cm wide; corolla 7–10 mm ..... subsp. smithii
5' Petiole 2–5 mm; leaf blade narrow-elliptic, 1–1.5 cm wide; corolla 6–7 mm ..... subsp. traskiae
3' Calyx, corolla not stalked-glandular abaxially; corolla funnel-shaped, not constricted at throat
6. Lf linear to lance-linear, 0.2–1.1 cm wide
7. Infl head-like; calyx lobes 6–8 mm, dense-long-hairy ..... E. capitatum
7' Infl open, branched; calyx lobes 2–5 mm, glabrous to sparse-hairy
8. Lf abaxially with all but midvein obscured by hairs; pedicel, peduncle glabrous, sticky; calyx lobes 3–5 mm, abaxially glabrous, sticky; corolla 11–16 mm, lavender ..... E. altissimum
8' Lf abaxially with all but midvein not obscured by hairs; pedicel, peduncle sparse-stiff-hairy, not sticky; calyx lobes 2–3 mm, abaxially sparse-stiff-hairy, not sticky; corolla 3–7 mm, white ..... E. angustifolium
6' Lf lanceolate to oblong or ovate, 1–5 cm wide
9. Lf adaxially sparse-hairy to dense-tomentose ..... E. crassifolium
10. Lf adaxially dense-gray- to -white-tomentose; leaf ± ovate, not sticky; corolla 8–16 mm ..... var. crassifolium
10' Lf adaxially dull ± green, sparse- to moderate-short-hairy; leaf lanceolate, sticky between hairs; corolla 6–10 mm ..... var. nigrescens
9' Lf adaxially glabrous to sparse-long-wavy-hairy
11. Calyx abaxially glabrous to sparse-hairy, adaxially short-stiff-hairy; corolla 8–12(17) mm, abaxially sparse-hairy; flower buds appearing dark, not gray-hairy ..... E. californicum
11' Calyx dense-long-hairy; corolla 6–8 mm, abaxially dense-long-hairy; flower buds appearing gray-hairy ..... E. trichocalyx
12. St sparse- to dense-long-wavy-hairy; leaf adaxially sparse-long-wavy-hairy, abaxially dense-white-tomentose, all but midvein, secondary veins obscured ..... var. lanatum
12' St glabrous to sparse-short-hairy; leaf adaxially ± glabrous, sparse-short-hairy mostly on midvein, abaxially sparse-tomentose between yellow-green, glabrous veins in net-like pattern ..... var. trichocalyx
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.