|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Generally shrub, generally erect; hairs sparse to dense, stellate (stalked or sessile), simple, and glandular.
Leaf: petioled; blade unlobed to 3–7-lobed, coarsely or shaggy-hairy to tomentose.
Inflorescence: head- to panicle-like, flowers generally > 1 in leaf axils; bracts leaf-like or not, in involucre or not; bractlets 3, free, linear to lanceolate, persistent.
Flower: calyx 5-lobed; petals 5, pale pink-purple or white (often ± purple when dry); petals generally > calyx, fused at base; stamens open prior to stigma maturation; style branches 5–14.
Fruit: segments 5–14, 2–5 mm, separating, dehiscent, smooth, top hairy, beak 0.
Seed: 1 per segment, brown to black.
12 species: CA, nw Mex. (Greek: soft shrub) Malacothamnus foliosus (S. Watson) Kearney reported but evidently not documented for CA.
Unabridged etymology: (Greek: malakos, soft, thamnos, shrub)
Unabridged references: [Kearney 1951 Leafl W Bot 6:93–131; Fryxell 1988 Syst Bot Monogr:270–274]
1. Infl head-like ..... M. palmeri
2. Involucre bracts 20 mm wide, often > petals; leaf ± glabrous adaxially ..... var. involucratus
2' Involucre bracts 12–13 mm wide, ± = petals; leaf hairy adaxially ..... var. palmeri
1' Infl spike- or panicle-like
3. Infl spike- or panicle-like
4. Hairs white; branches ± erect
5. Branches slender; leaves 3–5-lobed; flowers < 10 per node ..... M. clementinus
5' Branches stout; leaves shallowly 5-lobed; flowers 3–5 per node ..... M. fremontii
4' Hairs ± yellow; branches spreading or ± erect
6. Branches slender; leaves thin
7. Lvs sparsely short-hairy adaxially, long-shaggy-hairy abaxially, 3–5-lobed; flowers generally >= 10 per node; flowering stalks 10–15 mm; calyx hairs <= 3 mm ..... M. densiflorus
7' Lvs densely hairy, unlobed to ± 3–5-lobed; flowers 3–6 per node; flowering stalks < 4 mm; calyx hairs < 1 mm ..... M. marrubioides
6' Branches stout; leaves thick
8. Lf 3–5-lobed, abaxially veins ± not raised, hairs not denser; flowers generally ± 10 per node; leaf-like bracts many ..... M. aboriginum
8' Lf unlobed to obscure-3-lobed, abaxially veins raised, hairs denser; flowers 3–6 per node; leaf-like bracts 3–5 ..... M. orbiculatus
3' Infl panicle-like
9. Hairs ± yellow; stellate hairs with < 10 rays ..... M. davidsonii
9' Hairs white; stellate hairs with > 25 rays
10. Bractlets black in age ..... M. jonesii
10' Bractlets not black in age
11. Branches spreading or ± erect
12. Lf blade < 5 cm, veins prominent abaxially, hairs adaxially ± = abaxially ..... M. abbottii
12' Lf blade <= 7 cm, veins ± prominent abaxially, hairs adaxially < abaxially ..... M. hallii
11' Branches spreading ..... M. fasciculatus
13. Calyx lobes deltate to cordate; stellate hairs with long rays, especially on leaves abaxially; flowering stalks stout ..... var. catalinensis
13' Calyx lobes awl-shaped to lanceolate; stellate hairs with short rays; flowering stalks slender
14. Lf hairs adaxially ± = abaxially; filament column ± 1/2 petals ..... var. fasciculatus
14' Lf hairs ± 0 or adaxially > abaxially; filament column > 1/2 petals
15. Lvs thick, blade < 7 cm, shallowly lobed, adaxially ± glabrous ..... var. nesioticus
15' Lvs thin, blade < 8 cm, deeply lobed, adaxially ± hairy ..... var. nuttallii
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.