|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Corm spheric, tan; daughter corms sessile.
Leaf: 1–3, generally narrow- lanceolate, keeled, glabrous, entire, often withered at flower.
Inflorescence: umbel-like, open; bracts ± lanceolate, ± scarious; pedicels ± erect, generally > perianth; flowers generally many.
Flower: perianth tube generally funnel-shaped, lobes generally ascending to spreading; stamens 6, attached to perianth tube at 1 level or alternately at 2 levels, equal or short alternating with long, filaments free, appendages forming crown or generally 0, anthers attached at middle, generally angled away from stigma; ovary stalked, style 1, stigma ± 3-lobed.
Fruit: generally stalked, ovoid.
Seed: ± spheric, black-crusted.
15 species: w North America, especially n&c CA. (Greek: 3 complete, for flower parts in 3s)
Unabridged references: [Hoover 1941 Amer Midl Naturalist 25:73–100]
1. Stamens attached alternately at 2 levels
2. Ovary 2 × stalk; perianth tube rounded at base ..... T. grandiflora
2' Ovary <= stalk; perianth tube acute to long-tapered at base (rounded at base in Triteleia hyacinthina, Triteleia lilacina)
3. Stamens unequal
4. Pedicel 7–20 mm; perianth 12–19 mm, bright yellow or pale blue; ovary green ..... T. crocea
4' Pedicel 20–180 mm; perianth 15–28 mm, white, often flushed violet abaxially; ovary bright yellow ..... T. peduncularis
3' Stamens ± equal
5. Perianth 16–27 mm, lavender; anthers ± 1.5 mm, purple; s ChI (San Clemente Island) ..... T. clementina
5' Perianth 18–47 mm, blue, blue-purple, or white; anthers 2–5 mm, white to ± blue; NW, CaR, SN, CW, TR ..... T. laxa
1' Stamens attached at 1 level
6. Stamens ± equal
7. Perianth 27–45 mm, tube tapered at base, > lobes ..... T. bridgesii
7' Perianth 7–26 mm, tube bowl-shaped to tapered at base, < lobes
8. Perianth tube yellow or white, often tinged or fading blue, or yellow aging purple
9. Perianth 18–26 mm, filaments < 1/2 perianth lobes ..... T. hendersonii
9' Perianth 12–17 mm, filaments > 1/2 perianth lobes ..... T. montana
8' Perianth tube white (occasionally flushed purple abaxially), blue, or lilac
10. Filaments generally triangular; anthers ± white to yellow ..... T. hyacinthina
10' Filaments linear; anthers lilac or lilac-dotted ..... T. lilacina
6' Stamens unequal
11. Tips of longer filaments rounded, without appendages ..... T. lugens
11' Tips of longer filaments not rounded, generally with appendages
12. Filament tip appendages 0 or short, blunt; perianth tube = lobes ..... T. dudleyi
12' Filament tip appendages forked, pointed; perianth tube <= lobes ..... T. ixioides
13. Lf 1, 10–20 cm ..... subsp. unifolia
13' Lvs 1–2, 10–50 cm
14. Perianth tube ± = lobes, white to pale straw-colored — w-c SCoRO (s Santa Lucia Range) ..... subsp. cookii
14' Perianth tube < lobes, yellow (drying ± blue) or gold-yellow or straw-colored to pale yellow
15. Anthers generally blue or cream; filament tip appendages straight or incurved — KR, CaR, SN ..... subsp. anilina
15' Anthers cream or yellow, occasionally blue; filament tip appendages ± straight to recurved
16. Perianth tube 7–10 mm; c&s CCo, sw SnFrB, SCoRI ..... subsp. ixioides
16' Perianth tube 3–7 mm; KR, CaR, SN ..... subsp. scabra
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.