|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Bulb elongate of 1–2 fleshy scales, generally with small, bead-like parts of persistent rhizome.
Leaf: 2 (1 in non- flower plant), basal, 6–35 cm, lanceolate to ovate (solitary basal leaf wider), narrowed to petiole, often mottled, glabrous; margin entire to wavy.
Inflorescence: peduncled raceme; flowers 1–10; bracts 0.
Flower: showy, generally nodding; perianth parts 6, similar, free, ± lanceolate, ± recurved; stamens 6; style 1, stigma entire to 3-lobed.
Fruit: capsule, ovoid to oblong.
Seed: ± ovoid, ± angular, brown.
± 27 species: especially temperate North America. (Greek: red, from flowers of some) Lf, flower markings to be noted when fresh, because of fading in pressed specimens.
Unabridged references: [Applegate 1935 Madroño 3:58–113; Shevock et al. 1990 Madroño 37:261–273]
1. Lvs uniformly green, not mottled
2. Perianth yellow; stigma entire or lobed
3. Perianth parts 15–28 mm; style, filaments yellow; stigma entire or lobes < 1 mm; flowers 1–10 ..... E. pluriflorum
3' Perianth parts 20–35 mm; style, filaments white; stigma ± entire or lobes < 1 mm or 2–4 mm; flowers 1–5
4. Fls 1(3); style 10–15 mm; fresh perianth parts with narrow, pale zone at base; stigma lobes 2–4 mm; KR, NCoR ..... E. grandiflorum subsp. grandiflorum
4' Fls 1–5; style 8–10 mm; fresh perianth parts without pale zone at base; stigma ± entire or lobes < 1 mm; c SNF ..... E. tuolumnense
2' Perianth white with yellow base; stigma ± entire
5. Perianth parts 10–20 mm, without sac-like folds at base ..... E. purpurascens
5' Perianth parts 18–45 mm, inner with small sac-like folds at base
6. Perianth parts < 1/3 yellow; leaves 6–17 cm; flowers 1–3; KR, CaRH ..... E. klamathense
6' Perianth parts 1/3–2/3 yellow; leaves 10–35 cm; flowers 1–8; c&s SNH
7. Filaments ± white, anthers yellow; s SNH (Tulare Co.) ..... E. pusaterii
7' Filaments ± yellow, anthers cream; c SNH (Tuolumne Co.) ..... E. taylorii
1' Lvs irregularly mottled with brown or white
8. Filaments >= 1 mm wide; stigma lobed
9. Perianth parts white with yellow base ..... E. oregonum
9' Perianth parts violet-pink with yellow base ..... E. revolutum
8' Filaments < 0.8 mm wide; stigma entire to lobed
10. Perianth violet to pink with dark purple base ..... E. hendersonii
10' Perianth ± white with yellow base
11. Style 10–15 mm; anthers white to cream
12. Peduncle when flowers > 1 branched well above leaves; bulblets 0 ..... E. californicum
12' Peduncle when flowers > 1 branched near ground; bulblets from long, slender rhizomes ..... E. multiscapideum
11' Style 4–10 mm; anthers white, cream, yellow, or pink to red tinged
13. Anthers yellow; style ± bent; bulblets 0 or sessile ..... E. helenae
13' Anthers white to cream, pink to brown- or purple-red; style ± straight; bulblets 0 ..... E. citrinum
14. Anthers white to cream ..... var. citrinum
14' Anthers pink to brown- or purple-red ..... var. roderickii
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.