|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual to shrub.
Leaf: entire to lobed or toothed, generally not spine-tipped.
Inflorescence: clusters generally many-flowered, generally head-like, generally ± spheric, generally involucred, generally surrounding nodes in generally ± spike-like, generally interrupted panicles, or flowers 1–several per leaf axil.
Flower: calyx generally 2-lipped, upper lip entire or of 3 generally shallow, occasionally spine-tipped lobes, lower lip generally of 2 generally spine-tipped lobes; corolla 2-lipped, upper lip 2-lobed to entire, lower lip with 3 spreading lobes, middle lobe generally expanded; fertile stamens 2, attached in throat, anther sacs 1–2 per stamen, if 2 then separate on thread-like structure with 1 fertile, > other; style forked at tip.
± 900 species: ± worldwide, especially tropics, subtropical America. (Latin: to save, from medicinal use) [Walker & Sytsma 2007 Ann Bot 100:375–391] Polyphyletic (taxonomic revision needed); CA natives in monophyletic sect. Audibertia. All species good bee fodder; seeds edible, a traditional food of native Californians. Historical waifs, Salvia microphylla Kunth last collected in CA in 1943, Salvia verbenacea L. in 1936.
2. Corolla tube 15–25 mm; bract 2–5 cm; plant white-woolly ..... S. carduacea
2' Corolla tube 6–8 mm; bract < ± 1 cm; plant short-hairy ..... S. columbariae
1' Perennial to shrub
3. Lf spine-tipped
4. Lf white-woolly, short-petioled, generally deciduous, spines in 1–2 pairs or 0 on margins; calyx lobes triangular, white-woolly ..... S. funerea
4' Lf green-tomentose, sessile or short-petioled, persistent, spines in 2–7 pairs on margins; calyx lobes lanceolate, not white-woolly ..... S. greatae
3' Lf not spine-tipped
5. Perennial; leaf ± green
6. Corolla tube red to salmon, 25–35 mm, upper lip straight; calyx hairs short, white ..... S. spathacea
6' Corolla tube pale yellow or violet-blue (white), 10–20 mm, upper lip arched; calyx soft-wavy-hairy and glandular, to white-woolly
7. Corolla tube pale yellow; calyx white-woolly ..... S. aethiopis
7' Corolla tube violet-blue (white); calyx soft-wavy-hairy and glandular ..... S. virgata
5' Subshrub or shrub (perennial herb); leaf ± green to ± gray-white
8. Stamens included to ± exserted
9. Lf linear to linear-elliptic, margins rolled under, abaxially with branched hairs; heterostylous ..... S. brandegeei
9' Lf oblanceolate to oblong-elliptic or obovate, margins not or only ± rolled under, abaxially with simple hairs; not heterostylous
10. Corolla tube white to pale blue or lavender (pale rose); flower clusters 1.6–4 cm wide; leaf oblong-elliptic to obovate ..... S. mellifera
10' Corolla tube dark blue; flower clusters 1–1.5 cm wide; leaf oblanceolate to obovate ..... S. munzii
8' Stamens generally exserted
11. Lower corolla lip generally > 2 × upper; hairs simple
12. Lf generally ± green, or ± gray from ± bristly hairs; inflorescence generally < 5 dm
13. Erect shrub; leaf linear; corolla tube white to pale lilac ..... S. eremostachya
13' Prostrate subshrub; leaf lance-elliptic to obovate; corolla tube blue to lilac or purple ..... S. sonomensis
12' Lf ± gray-velvety from minute appressed hairs; inflorescence generally > 10 dm
14. Lf blade base tapered; calyx lobes ± or not spine-tipped; flowers in ± spike-like clusters, arranged in ± raceme-like, interrupted panicles ..... S. apiana
14' Lf blade base ± truncate to tapered; calyx lobes spine-tipped; flower clusters in ± spike-like, interrupted panicles ..... S. vaseyi
11' Lower corolla lip < 2 × upper; hairs simple or branched
15. Width of middle lower corolla lobe < 1/2 length; leaf puckered, teeth rounded, hairs simple or branched, moderately dense to sparse, spreading
16. Lf blade base ± truncate to ± cordate; leaf ashy-gray, hairs branched; tissue between anther sacs glabrous ..... S. leucophylla
16' Lf blade base tapered to ± truncate; leaf yellow- to gray-green, hairs simple; tissue between anther sacs glandular-hairy
17. Bracts dark, firm, < calyx; spikes of 1–3 flower clusters ..... S. clevelandii
17' Bracts pale to dark, papery, >> calyx; flower clusters generally 1 per flower stem ..... S. mohavensis
15' Width of middle lower corolla lobe >= length; leaf not puckered, ± entire, scaly or hairs simple, very dense, appressed
18. Corolla tube blue-violet to rose, generally 13–23 mm; bract 10–20 mm; leaf 2–5 cm ..... S. pachyphylla
18' Corolla tube blue (purple to rose, or white), generally 6–13 mm; bract 5–12(14) mm; leaf 0.4–3 cm ..... S. dorrii
19. Bract, calyx abaxially soft-shaggy-hairy or scaly, margin hairs long ..... var. pilosa
19' Bract, calyx glabrous to scaly, margin hairs generally short
20. Lf abruptly narrowed to petiole, 0.6–2 cm, widest 0.2–1.3 cm from base ..... var. dorrii
20' Lf tapered to petiole, 1–4 cm, widest 0.6–2.8 cm from base ..... var. incana
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.