|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual, hairy or not, gland-dotted, aromatic. Stem: decumbent to erect, branched or not, 2.5–45 cm. Leaf: linear to round, entire to toothed, bristly-ciliate or not; short-petioled. Inflorescence: clusters of opposite cymes, head-like, spike-like, or interrupted, terminal and axillary, or flowers 1 in axils; bracts 2 or more per node, bristly-ciliate or not. Flower: ± sessile, calyx 2-lipped, lobes 5, deep, ciliate or not, tip extensions 0 to long, outer surface glabrous to coarsely hairy; corolla 2-lipped, lavender to purple or white, raised area on lower lip occasionally spotted; stamens 2–4, upper 2 sterile and vestigial or 0 in some taxa; style hairy below stigma lobes. Fruit: hairy.
8 species: California, Oregon, Baja California. (Greek: bearded style) [Howell 1931 Proc Calif Acad Sci 20:105–128]
Unabridged note: Pogogyne tenuiflora Gray known only from the type collection made in 1875 (GH 1496): Guadalupe Island, Baja California.
1. Corolla inconspicuous, 2.5–8 mm, ± included in bracts, calyces; fertile stamens 2, lower pair only, < 2 mm, upper pair of stamens sterile and vestigial or 0
2. Inflorescence elongate, spike-like, generally ± from plant base ..... P. floribunda
2' Inflorescence generally short, head-like, ± from plant top
3. Plant inconspicuous; stem slender, ± 0.5 mm diam, generally prostrate to decumbent; fruit 1–1.3 mm; grassy areas ..... P. serpylloides
3' Plant conspicuous; stem stout, ± 1 mm diam, generally ascending to erect; fruit 1.5–2.5 mm; vernal pools, swales, drainages ..... P. zizyphoroides
1' Corolla conspicuous, 9–20 mm, exserted from bracts, calyces; fertile stamens 4, upper and lower pairs, lower pair > 3.5 mm
4. Inflorescence 1–3 cm wide; lower calyx lobes > 1.5 × upper; vernal pools, swales, n of Point Conception (Santa Barbara Co.) ..... P. douglasii
4' Inflorescence <= 2 cm wide; lower calyx lobes < 1.5 × upper; coastal mesas, terraces (San Diego Co.), creek beds (Monterey Co.)
5. Inflorescence generally < 10 mm wide; calyx lobe tip extension 0 or short; bract tips generally obtuse to rounded; creek beds, swales (Monterey Co.) ..... P. clareana
5' Inflorescence 8–20 mm wide; calyx lobe tip extension elongate, pointed; bract tips narrowly acute to acuminate; vernal pools (San Diego Co.)
6. Calyx outer surface with dense, generally curved hairs; inflorescence 8–10 mm wide ..... P. abramsii
6' Calyx outer surface glabrous or hairs sparse, generally straight; inflorescence 10–20 mm wide — Otay Mesa ..... P. nudiuscula
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.