|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual to perennial herb, generally glabrous.
Stem: generally simple below inflorescence.
Leaf: cauline, opposite (also basal or not).
Inflorescence: compact cyme or flowers 1.
Flower: parts generally in 5s (generally in 4s in Gentiana prostrata, 4s or 5s in Gentiana fremontii); calyx tube generally > lobes; corolla tube narrow- bell-shaped, lobes spreading, < tube, base of sinus between lobes truncate or generally with a variously shaped, sometimes fringed appendage, nectary pits 0 (nectaries on ovary stalk); ovary stalked, style ± 0 or short, entire, persistent, stigmas 2.
± 400 species: temperate to subarctic, alpine Am, Eurasia. (Gentius, king of Illyria, who used roots to treat malaria)
1. Annual, biennial; stem < 1 dm, leaf < 15 mm, flower < 2 cm (sect. Chondrophyllae)
2. Basal, cauline leaves not alike, upper cauline strongly ascending, much narrower than basal, margins of all leaves white; corolla white to pale blue, abaxially often dark blue ..... G. fremontii
2' Basal, cauline leaves ± alike, ± spreading, margins not or ± white; corolla medium to deep blue ..... G. prostrata
1' Perennial; stem generally > 1 dm; leaf > 15 mm; flower > 2 cm (sect. Pneumonanthe)
3. Sts arising laterally from caudex, below rosettes
4. Sts 20–45 cm; internodes > middle, upper cauline leaves; corolla sinus appendages divided into 2–3 thread-like, entire segments ..... G. setigera
4' Sts 0.5–10(35) cm; internodes generally < cauline leaves; corolla sinus appendages divided into 2 triangular, ± serrate to jagged-cut parts tapered to thread-like tips ..... G. newberryi
5. Corolla generally medium to deep blue ..... var. newberryi
5' Corolla white to pale blue, abaxially dark brown-purple on, below lobes ..... var. tiogana
3' Sts arising terminally from caudex, without rosettes
6. Sinus between corolla lobes ± unappendaged ..... G. sceptrum
6' Sinus between corolla lobes with a conspicuous toothed or fringed appendage
7. Corolla sinus appendages divided ± to base into 2–several thread-like parts; leaf-base sheaths at mid-stem generally > 5 mm ..... G. plurisetosa
7' Corolla sinus appendages divided into generally 2 parts, each thread-like only toward tip; leaf-base sheaths at mid-stem generally < 5 mm
8. Lf, calyx-lobe margins ± entire, minutely ciliate; calyx lobes generally < 1.5 mm wide; corolla lobes generally < 7 mm; inflorescences terminal, generally also at 1–6 upper nodes, flowers 1–7 ..... G. affinis var. ovata
8' Lf, calyx-lobe margins generally obscurely, minutely dentate, not ciliate; calyx lobes generally > 2 mm wide; corolla lobes 5.5–13 mm; inflorescences generally terminal, also at 1–3 upper nodes or not, flowers 1–few ..... G. calycosa
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.