|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual, glabrous to hairy; roots fibrous.
Stem: erect, 2–40 cm, 4-angled, branched or not.
Leaf: cauline, widely linear to ovate, serrate, sessile.
Inflorescence: flowers terminal, bracts 2–4, linear, lanceolate, oblanceolate, to ovate.
Flower: not inverted, pedicelled or not; sepals 0.5–3 × ovary, linear to narrowly triangular; corolla cylindric, funnel-, or bell-shaped, throat white, lobes linear to widely ovate, white to deep purple; ovary inferior, obconic or cylindric, narrowed near middle or not.
Fruit: open at top irregularly by tears where style falls off, within persistent sepals.
Seed: ± 1 mm, angular- fusiform.
4 species: w North America. (Greek: Githago -like) [Morin 1983 Syst Bot 8:436–468] Width in length-to-width ratios of corollas (or ovaries) measured at tube (or ovary) tops.
1. Corolla cylindric, 2.5–3 mm; flowers generally cleistogamous; bracts ovate ..... G. tenella
1' Corolla funnel- to bell-shaped, generally > 3 mm; flowers open; bracts narrower than ovate
2. Corolla showy, 1–1.5 × longer than wide; filament base wider than tip, ciliate ..... G. pulchella
3. Ovary 2.5–5.5 mm; corolla generally < 12 mm ..... subsp. serpentinicola
3' Ovary >= 5.5 mm; corolla generally > 12 mm
4. Ovary obconic, hairs dense, recurved, stiff; upper branches 15–30 mm ..... subsp. campestris
4' Ovary cylindric to narrowly obconic, hairs 0, minute, fine, appressed, or coarse; upper branches > 32 mm ..... subsp. pulchella
5. St, ovary hairs 0 or fine, appressed; corolla 10–15 mm ..... var. glabra
5' St, ovary puberulent or hairs rough, coarse; corolla 13–24 mm ..... var. pulchella
2' Corolla not showy, 2–4.5 × longer than wide; filament base no wider than tip, glabrous or sparsely ciliate
6. Ovary obconic, ± narrowed at top, base long-tapered; pedicel rarely 0; corolla 4.5–14 mm ..... G. specularioides
6' Ovary cylindric to obconic, narrowed near middle, base swollen; pedicel 0; corolla 1.5–7.5 mm ..... G. diffusa
7. Corolla lobes white, pale blue, or pale pink, darker when dry
8. Upper stem 0.4–1 mm wide; corolla 5–7.5 mm ..... subsp. candida
8' Upper stem 0.2–0.4 mm wide; corolla 1.5–5 mm ..... subsp. filicaulis
7' Corolla lobes light violet, violet-blue, or light to deep blue
9. Ovary 5–6.5 × longer than wide ..... subsp. diffusa
9' Ovary 2–5 × longer than wide ..... subsp. robusta
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.