|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual, perennial herb, glabrous to hairy.
Stem: ascending, erect, or vine-like, often clinging by twining pedicels or branchlets.
Leaf: proximal generally opposite, distal alternate, generally reduced distally on stem; veins pinnate.
Inflorescence: cleistogamous or opening; raceme or flower 1 in axils.
Flower: uppermost calyx lobe generally largest; corolla tube of opening flowers truncate or with rounded sac-like extension at base, lower lip base generally swollen, closing throat; stamens 4, generally included, staminode 0; style included, straight or curved, glabrous or glandular-puberulent to near tip, stigma inconspicuous.
Fruit: ovoid to spheric; chambers 2, generally dehiscent by 1–2 pores near tip, lower chamber generally larger, upper occasionally indehiscent.
Seed: many, generally with tubercles or netted ridges, winged or not.
35 species: w North America, w Medit. (Greek: nose-like, from corolla shape) [Oyama & Baum 2004 Amer J Bot 91:918–925; Vargas et al. 2004 Plant Syst Evol 249:151–172] North America taxa more closely related to Mohavea than to Medit taxa; revision needed. Antirrhinum cyathiferum moved to Pseudorontium.
Unabridged references: [Ghebrehiwet et al. 2000 Plant Syst Evol 220:223–239; Thompson 1988 Syst Bot Monogr 22:1–142]
1. Pedicels 3–10 cm, twining or with U-shaped hook
2. Corolla of opening flowers yellow and gold with maroon flecks on lower lip; fruit fragile, opening by irregular bursting on sides ..... A. filipes
2' Corolla of opening flowers lavender to deep blue-purple, veins darker; fruit firm, dehiscent by 2 slits at tip ..... A. kelloggii
1' Pedicels 0.1–2.5 cm, not twining, not hooked
3. Proximal-most flowers not subtended by branchlets; flowers all opening; annual to perennial herb; plants self-supporting
4. Lower calyx lobes >= corolla tube; seed generally smooth, 1 side flattened, with raised, rough, irregular border ..... [A. orontium]
4' Lower calyx lobes < to << corolla tube; seed netted, ridged, or winged
5. Corolla 25–45 mm ..... [A. majus]
5' Corolla 7–18 mm
6. Fls in terminal racemes; corolla 13–18 mm, pale pink to red; often per from caudex
7. Plant sticky-glandular-hairy ..... A. multiflorum
7' Plant glabrous ..... A. virga
6' Fls 1 in leaf axils; corolla generally white, cream, or pale lavender, often with violet or purple veins or marks, 7–14 mm; annual
8. Corolla veins violet; swollen lower lip base with dense, cylindric hairs to 1 mm; NCoRI, w CaR, n ScV ..... A. cornutum
8' Corolla veins not contrasting in color; swollen lower lip base with sparse, sphere-tipped hairs; SN (especially SNF) ..... A. leptaleum
3' Proximal-most flowers and often others generally subtended by branchlets; flowers all opening or some cleistogamous; annual, rarely biennial; plants often not self-supporting, but climbing or sprawling
9. Calyx lobes ± equal
10. Only stem base and inflorescence hairy; upper fruit chamber indehiscent ..... A. coulterianum
10' Plant hairy throughout; both fruit chambers dehiscent ..... A. nuttallianum
11. Hairs very dense, very fine, of mixed lengths, tips ± not enlarged ..... subsp. nuttallianum
11' Hairs sparse to moderately dense, coarse, of ± = length, tips much-enlarged ..... subsp. subsessile
9' Calyx lobes unequal
12. Fls cleistogamous and opening; corolla of opening flowers 5–7 mm, white, veins violet ..... A. kingii
12' Fls all opening; corolla 8–20 mm, white to tan, cream tinged pink, or lavender
13. Corolla lower lip base not swollen, not closing throat, throat floor with 2 longitudinal folds ..... A. ovatum
13' Corolla lower lip base swollen, closing throat, throat floor without folds
14. Corolla white to tan, throat floor expanded at mouth, lower lip lobes reflexed, poorly developed ..... A. subcordatum
14' Corolla lavender, throat uniformly narrowed, lower lip lobes thrust forward, erect or spreading, conspicuous ..... A. vexillocalyculatum
15. Proximal stem glabrous or with nonglandular hairs to 3 mm; corolla 11–17 mm — s NCoR, ScV (Sutter Buttes), SnFrB, n SCoRI ..... subsp. vexillocalyculatum
15' Proximal stem glandular-hairy, with or without nonglandular hairs; corolla 8–14 mm
16. Branchlets subtending flowers with 1 leaf at proximal-most node; KR, n NCoRO, NCoRH, c CaRH ..... subsp. breweri
16' Branchlets subtending flowers generally with 2 leaves at proximal-most node; n&c SN ..... subsp. intermedium
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.