|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Root odor generally wintergreen.
Inflorescence: raceme or spike, occasionally grouped and panicle-like; cleistogamous flowers occasionally solitary.
Flower: bilateral; lateral 2 sepals enlarged; petals 3 or 5, keel petal generally with cylindric beak or fringed crest at tip; stamens 6–8, anthers dehiscent at tip, appearing 1-chambered; with nectary disk or gland; ovary chambers 2, stigma 2-lobed.
Seed: fusiform or ovoid, black, generally hairy, generally with prominent white aril on 1 end.
± 500 species: tropics, temperate. (Greek: much milk, some Eur species said to increase milk in cows) [Wendt 1979 J Arnold Arbor 60:504–514]
1. Infl thornless
2. Fls 2.5–5 mm, ± cleistogamous, keel petal beakless ..... P. californica (2)
2' At least some flowers > 7 mm, opening, keel petal beaked
3. Fl 9–14.5 mm (occasionally 2.5–5 mm cleistogamous flowers near plant base), keel petal beak oblong, generally notched or contorted, ± 0.7–1 mm diam near tip; aril glabrous ..... P. californica (2)
3' Fl 7–14 mm, of 1 kind, keel petal beak linear, entire, ± 0.2 mm diam near tip; aril hairy ..... P. cornuta
4. Fl 8.5–14 mm, wings dense-puberulent; upper sepal generally acute to acuminate ..... var. cornuta
4' Fl 7–11.2 mm, wings generally ciliate, surface glabrous or puberulent only near tip; upper sepal generally rounded to obtuse ..... var. fishiae
1' Infl thorn-tipped
5. Fl 2.5–5.3 mm, wings cream or ± green; twigs densely hairy
6. Pedicels, outer sepals, and leaves spreading-hairy ..... P. acanthoclada
6' Pedicels glabrous; outer sepals glabrous or ciliate, occasionally sparsely hairy near tip; leaf hairs incurved or appressed ..... P. intermontana
5' Fl 6–13.5 mm, wings pink; twigs glabrous to short-stiff-hairy
7. Keel petal beak prominently notched below; seeds hairier near aril ..... P. heterorhyncha
7' Keel petal beak entire or ± jagged; seeds generally evenly hairy ..... P. subspinosa
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.