|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Plant ± glabrous.
Leaf: basal, ± tufted; sheath membranous; ligule tip entire to 2-lobed .
Flower: perianth parts generally adaxially concave; anthers ± sessile; stigma papillate or ± plumose.
Fruit: achene or generally 3, 6 mericarps.
Seed: 1, linear, ± flat or angled.
± 20 species: temperate, circumboreal, Australia, s Africa, South America. (Greek: 3 points, from fruits of some) TOXIC when fresh, from cyanogenic compounds.
1. Annual; inflorescence a generally emergent spike of bisexual and sometimes staminate flowers + 2 submerged, long-styled, sessile pistillate flowers enclosed in leaf sheath at base of scape; perianth parts 0 or 1; stamens 0 or 1; carpels 0 or 1, fertile ..... T. scilloides
1' Perennial; inflorescence an aerial raceme of bisexual flowers; perianth parts generally 6; stamens 1, 3, 6, occasionally fewer; carpels 6, all or 3 fertile
2. Fertile carpels, mericarps 3
3. Fr 5–7(9) mm; mericarps weak-ridged abaxially; rhizome ± stout; plant tufted; c&s SNH, 2100–3450 m ..... T. palustris
3' Fr 1–1.5 mm; mericarps strong-3-keeled abaxially; rhizome slender; plant mat-forming; NCo, CCo, n SCo, < 30 m ..... T. striata
2' Fertile carpels, mericarps 6
4. Plant dense-tufted, (1)4–11 dm; rhizome stout; ligule tip entire to ± notched, (1)1.5–5 mm; leaf ± elliptic in ×-section, generally 2–5 mm wide ..... T. maritima
4' Plant loose-tufted to mat-forming, 1–6 dm; rhizome ± slender, often creeping; ligule tip deep-2-lobed, 0.5–1.5 mm; leaf ± round or semicircular in ×-section, generally 1–2 mm wide ..... T. concinna
5. Plant generally 1–3(4.5) dm; inflorescence generally >= leaves; salt marshes; NCo, CCo, SCo ..... var. concinna
5' Plant (1)3–5(6) dm; inflorescence generally >> leaves; alkaline meadows, seeps, mudflats, stream and lake margins; ne KR, n CaRH, s SNH, GB, DMoj ..... var. debilis
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.