|University of California, Berkeley|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
1. Annual; inflorescence a generally emergent spike of bisexual and sometimes staminate flowers + 2 submerged, long-styled, sessile pistillate flowers enclosed in leaf sheath at base of scape; perianth parts 0 or 1; stamens 0 or 1; carpels 0 or 1, fertile ..... T. scilloides
1' Perennial herb; inflorescence an aerial raceme of bisexual flowers; perianth parts generally 6; stamens 1, 3, 6, occasionally fewer; carpels 6, all or 3 fertile
2. Fertile carpels, mericarps 3
3. Fruit 5–7(9) mm; mericarps weak-ridged abaxially; rhizome ± stout; plant tufted; c&s High Sierra Nevada, 2100–3450 m ..... T. palustris
3' Fruit 1–1.5 mm; mericarps strong-3-keeled abaxially; rhizome slender; plant mat-forming; North Coast, Central Coast, n South Coast, < 30 m ..... T. striata
2' Fertile carpels, mericarps 6
4. Plant dense-tufted, (1)4–11 dm; rhizome stout; ligule tip entire to ± notched, (1)1.5–5 mm; leaf ± elliptic in ×-section, generally 2–5 mm wide ..... T. maritima
4' Plant loose-tufted to mat-forming, 1–6 dm; rhizome ± slender, often creeping; ligule tip deep-2-lobed, 0.5–1.5 mm; leaf ± round or semicircular in ×-section, generally 1–2 mm wide ..... T. concinna
5. Plant generally 1–3(4.5) dm; inflorescence generally >= leaves; salt marshes; North Coast, Central Coast, South Coast ..... var. concinna
5' Plant (1)3–5(6) dm; inflorescence generally >> leaves; alkaline meadows, seeps, mudflats, stream and lake margins; ne Klamath Ranges, n High Cascade Range, s High Sierra Nevada, Great Basin Floristic Province, Mojave Desert ..... var. debilis
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.