|University of California, Berkeley|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
1. Leaves alternate, or whorled with some scattered single leaves ..... M. hippuroides
1' Leaves whorled (opposite)
2. Plants dioecious; leaves narrow, length 3–4 × width; bracts ± = stem leaves ..... M. aquaticum
2' Plants monoecious; leaves generally wider; bracts < stem leaves.
3. Bracts pinnately dissected; stems green, dark green to ± black-green when dry ..... M. verticillatum
3' Bracts entire or dentate; stems dark green, occasionally red-tinged; generally ± white to pink or dark gray when dry.
4. Leaves dark green when fresh, darker when dry, glaucous; young shoots with >= 1 pair of entire, opposite leaves at base; plants conspicuously rhizomed; flower bracts triangular, 4–10 mm, toothed, glaucous ..... M. quitense
4' Leaves dark green when fresh, generally red-tinged, not glaucous when dry, occasionally waxy from diatoms; young shoots lacking pairs of entire, opposite leaves at base; plants not conspicuously rhizomed; flower bracts lanceolate to ovate or oblanceolate, 1–3 mm, entire to toothed, not glaucous
5. Leaf segments 4–14 pairs; angles, spacing varying throughout leaf ..... M. sibiricum
5' Leaf segments 14–24 pairs; angles, spacing uniform throughout leaf ..... M. spicatum
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.