|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Perennial herb or ± subshrub, open to matted or cushion-like. Stem: prostrate or decumbent to erect. Leaf: cauline, opposite, simple, sessile, lance-linear to elliptic, entire. Flower: corolla salverform; stamens attached at > 1 level, some unequal.
± 60 species: North America, Siberia. (Greek: flame, ancient name for Lychnis of Caryophyllaceae) [Locklear 2009 J Bot Res Inst Texas 3:645–658] Phlox gracilis moved to Microsteris.
Unabridged references: [Cronquist 1984 Intermountain Flora 4:95–107]
1. Plant open, not ± matted to cushion-like; flowers generally 3–15 per inflorescence
2. Style < stigmas, 0.4–2 mm; calyx membrane not keeled ..... P. speciosa
2' Style >> stigmas, >= 4 mm; calyx membrane at least ± keeled
3. Lower leaves elliptic-ovate, 1–4 cm wide, glabrous; stem decumbent, flower branches erect — Klamath Ranges, Outer North Coast Ranges, High North Coast Ranges, Cascade Range ..... P. adsurgens
3' Lower leaves lance-linear to lanceolate, < 1 cm wide, generally hairy; stem generally ± erect
4. Style 4–7 mm; stigmas below anthers, anthers below corolla throat; n High Cascade Range (Siskiyou Co.) ..... P. hirsuta
4' Style 11–40 mm; stigmas at or above 1 or more anthers, at least 1 anther near corolla throat; San Bernardino Mountains, Great Basin Floristic Province, Desert Mountains
5. Corolla tube (21)35–50 mm; leaf generally lanceolate, sickle-shaped; calyx expanding in fruit; San Bernardino Mountains ..... P. dolichantha
5' Corolla tube 9–35(39) mm; leaf lance-linear to -ovate, not sickle-shaped; calyx not expanding in fruit; Great Basin Floristic Province, Desert Mountains ..... P. stansburyi
6. Stems generally not woody (few lower ± woody); plants together; open pinyon/juniper woodland ..... subsp. stansburyi
6' Stems generally woody; plants spaced; sagebrush scrub
7. Corolla tube 18–39 mm; internodes generally not evenly spaced; leaves generally not equal in length ..... subsp. superba
7' Corolla tube generally 8.5–19 mm; internodes evenly spaced; leaves generally equal in length ..... var. brevifolia
1' Plant dense, ± matted to cushion-like; flowers generally 1–5 per inflorescence
8. Stigmas ± = style; plant from long rhizomes — leaves in widely spaced clusters; s High Sierra Nevada (Tulare, Inyo cos.) ..... P. dispersa
8' Stigmas << style; plant from short rhizomes with stems clumped
9. Plant tightly cushion-like (generally difficult to determine on dried specimens); leaf generally < 4 mm
10. Leaves coarsely ciliate, hairy, not overlapped; High Sierra Nevada, San Bernardino Mountains, East of Sierra Nevada ..... P. condensata
10' Leaves not coarsely ciliate, densely long-woolly-hairy, overlapped; High Cascade Range (Loomis Peak) ..... P. muscoides
9' Plant ± matted to cushion-like but not tightly cushion-like; leaf generally > 4 mm
11. Glandular hairs generally present
12. Glandular hairs on herbage; c High Sierra Nevada, Great Basin Floristic Province ..... P. douglasii
12' Glandular hairs generally on calyx; High Sierra Nevada, East of Sierra Nevada ..... P. pulvinata
11' Glandular hairs 0
13. Leaf sharp-tipped; calyx membrane low-keeled at base; San Gabriel Mountains, San Bernardino Mountains, Peninsular Ranges ..... P. austromontana
13' Leaf not sharp-tipped; calyx membrane generally not keeled; California (except D)
14. Leaf generally ± glabrous except base white-woolly ..... P. diffusa
14' Leaf generally hairy ..... P. hoodii subsp. canescens
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.