|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual, perennial herb.
Stem: generally erect, generally branched from base.
Leaf: cauline, alternate or opposite, entire or lobes 3–9, pinnate or palmate, linear to narrow- lanceolate or spoon-shaped.
Inflorescence: open or dense clusters or cyme or flower 1; bracts leaf-like; flowers sessile or not.
Flower: corolla funnel-shaped, salverform, or bell-shaped; stamens attached at 1 level, included or exserted, pollen yellow.
Fruit: capsule, valves 3(4).
Seed: generally many, when wet gelatinous to not.
24 species: w North America. (Greek: flax flower) [Porter & Johnson 2000 Aliso 19:55–91] Other taxa in TJM (1993) moved to Leptosiphon.
1. Perennial, base woody; leaf lobes sharp-tipped
2. Lvs opposite, pinnate-3-lobed; corolla lobes 5–6; capsules generally 4-valved — SnJt ..... L. jaegeri
2' Lvs generally alternate, palmate- or pinnate-3–many-lobed; corolla lobes 5; capsules generally 3-valved
3. Corolla salverform, lobes 9–18 mm, generally pink; 0–1500 m ..... L. californicus
3' Corolla funnel-shaped, lobes 7–10 mm, white or pink; 1700–4000 m ..... L. pungens
1' Annual; leaf lobes not sharp-tipped
4. Corolla generally open evening (if open daytime then limb > 10 mm wide); calyx membrane wider than lobes; corolla lacking red marks near throat
5. Calyx glandular-hairy ..... L. jonesii
5' Calyx hairy or not, not glandular
6. Calyx 4–5 mm, hairy adaxially ..... L. arenicola
6' Calyx 8–14 mm, glabrous adaxially
7. Corolla tube without hairy pads where stamens attached ..... L. bigelovii
7' Corolla tube with hairy pads where stamens attached ..... L. dichotomus
8. Corolla closed daytime, open evening; CA except MP ..... subsp. dichotomus
8' Corolla open daytime, evening; n SnFrB, NCoR ..... subsp. meridianus
4' Corolla open daytime, limb generally < 10 mm wide; calyx membrane generally narrower than lobes (if wider then corolla with red marks near throat)
9. Lvs alternate (opposite or ± alternate in Linanthus concinnus)
10. Lf linear to thread-like; corolla lobes yellow ..... L. filiformis
10' Lf oblong, lanceolate, or narrowly oblanceolate; corolla lobes white
11. Plant < 3 cm, stem not glandular; calyx membrane ciliate; DMtns (Little San Bernardino Mtns), w DSon ..... L. maculatus
11' Plant > 3 cm, stem glandular; calyx membrane not ciliate; s SNH, GB, DMoj
12. Corolla throat with 2 purple marks below lobes, tube and throat exserted from calyx ..... L. campanulatus
12' Corolla throat lacking purple marks, tube and throat included in calyx ..... L. inyoensis
9' Lvs opposite (or ± alternate in Linanthus concinnus)
13. Membrane ± not connecting calyx lobes; corolla tube inconspicuous
14. St thread-like, openly branched at base; calyx lobes with purple marks at base ..... L. bellus
14' St not thread-like, compactly branched; calyx lobes without purple marks at base
15. Corolla bell-shaped, lobes white, base with 2 red marks ..... L. demissus
15' Corolla funnel-shaped, lobes blue-purple or white, base with 1–2 purple marks ..... L. parryae
13' Membrane connecting calyx lobes; corolla tube conspicuous
16. Lf lobes 0; corolla lobe tips fine-toothed ..... L. dianthiflorus
16' Lf lobes deep; corolla lobe tips ± entire
17. Calyx membrane much wider than lobes — SnGb ..... L. concinnus
17' Calyx membrane as wide as lobes
18. Corolla lobes generally white, with 1 red mark at base, 3–4 mm, tube and throat ± exserted from calyx — c SnBr ..... L. killipii
18' Corolla lobes generally pink, with 2 purple marks at base, 1 at each sinus, 5–8 mm, tube and throat long-exserted from calyx ..... L. orcuttii
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.