|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Glabrous to woolly, glandular or not.
Stem: generally erect.
Leaf: cauline, alternate, generally pinnate-lobed or simple; lobes generally linear or lanceolate.
Inflorescence: head-like, bracted, generally densely woolly; bracts leaf-like; flowers sessile.
Flower: calyx lobes unequal, generally woolly; corolla radial or bilateral, funnel-shaped to salverform; stamens equal or not, anthers generally sagittate, pollen white or blue; style included or exserted.
Seed: 1–several per chamber.
16 species: w North America. (Greek: woolly star) [Harrison 1972 Brigham Young Univ Sci Bull, Biol Ser 16:1–26] Apparently much undescribed variation; genus being revised. Key to species by David Gowen, Sarah De Groot.
1. Perennial ..... E. densifolium
2. Corolla 20–37 mm
3. Corolla 20–25 mm, lobes 1/3–1/2 corolla; leaves glabrous to subglabrous; coastal dunes, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara cos. ..... subsp. densifolium
3' Corolla 25–37 mm, lobes ± 1/3 corolla; leaves woolly; Santa Ana River drainage, sw San Bernardino Co. ..... subsp. sanctorum
2' Corolla < 20 mm
4. Lvs strongly recurved, blade wider at base than tip, lobes spine-tipped — SNE, DMoj ..... subsp. mohavense
4' Lvs not recurved, blade generally equally wide at base, tip, generally not spine-tipped
5. Bracts generally 5–9 lobed; inflorescence generally terminal, 10–20 flowered; leaves subglabrous to ± canescent ..... subsp. austromontanum
5' Bracts generally (0)3–5(7)-lobed; inflorescences generally terminal and axillary, 1–10(15)-flowered; leaves ± canescent to woolly ..... subsp. elongatum
1' Annual (occasionally short lived perennial herb)
6. Stamens attached at or just below corolla sinus, corolla 11–24 mm ..... E. pluriflorum
7. Plant ± open; leaves thread-like; corolla generally salverform, tube + throat generally > 2 × lobes; chaparral, grassland, savanna, woodland, pine forest ..... subsp. pluriflorum
7' Plant generally dense, occasionally cespitose; leaves linear; corolla narrowly funnel-shaped, tube + throat generally <= 2 × lobes; open sandy flats, deserts ..... subsp. sherman-hoytiae
6' Stamens attached well below corolla sinus, if higher, corolla < 15 mm
8. Stamens exserted > 1/2 length of corolla lobes
9. Corolla lobes bright yellow ..... E. luteum
9' Corolla lobes white, lavender, or blue
10. Corolla generally bilateral; stamens generally unequal ..... E. eremicum subsp. eremicum
10' Corolla ± radial (or bilateral from unequal sinuses in Eriastrum sapphirinum), stamens generally equal
11. Stamens exceeded by tips of corolla lobes; corolla lobes < 4 mm ..... E. filifolium
11' Stamens equalling to exceeding tips of corolla lobes (almost equalling to exceeding in Eriastrum sapphirinum subsp. dasyanthum); corolla lobes >= 4 mm
12. Corolla tube > 3 × throat, tube + throat generally >= 1.5 × lobes; plants ± not glandular; CCo, n SCoR (Monterey, San Benito cos.) ..... E. virgatum
12' Corolla tube < 3 × throat, tube + throat generally <= 1.5 × lobes; plants often glandular; s SNF, SW (except ChI), w D ..... E. sapphirinum
13. Fls 3+ per cluster; corolla lobes royal to dark blue; calyx, bracts occasionally ± glandular, woolly ..... subsp. dasyanthum
13' Fls 1–3 per cluster; corolla lobes bright blue to lavender; calyx, bracts glandular, ± woolly to subglabrous ..... subsp. sapphirinum
8' Stamens included or exserted < 1/2 length of corolla lobes
14. Anthers including
15. Upper leaves, bracts generally pinnate-3–7-lobed; inflorescence many-flowered, densely bracted, densely woolly ..... E. abramsii
15' Upper leaves, bracts pinnate-1–4-lobed or palmate-5-lobed; inflorescence few-flowered, few-bracted, ± woolly
16. Corolla 5–7 mm, white; seeds (1)2–4 per chamber ..... E. hooveri
16' Corolla >= 7 mm, white, pink, lavender, or light blue; seeds 1(2) per chamber
17. Stamens 1.5–2 mm, filaments ± 2 × anther; corolla lobes narrowly elliptic, ± 3 × longer than wide ..... E. brandegeeae
17' Stamens 0.5–1.5 mm, filaments ± = anther; corolla lobes widely elliptic, ± 2 × longer than wide ..... E. tracyi
14' Anthers exserted
18. Stamens unequal; corolla lobes generally > 1.25 mm wide
19. Corolla generally 6–9 mm; stem wiry; plants erect or spreading, generally subglabrous; leaves generally 1–3-lobed near base; SNE, D ..... E. diffusum
19' Corolla generally 15–22 mm; stem generally not wiry; plants erect, woolly-hairy to occasionally subglabrous; leaves entire or 1–7-lobed near base; SNH, GB, n DMtns ..... E. wilcoxii
18' Stamens equal; corolla lobes generally <= 1.25 mm wide
20. Plant minutely glandular-hairy ..... E. sparsiflorum
20' Plant woolly-hairy to woolly, generally ± not glandular
21. Corolla lobes pale yellow to white, without spots; sand dunes in creosote-bush scrub ..... E. harwoodii
21' Corolla lobes pale blue to pink, base generally with maroon spot that is occasionally faint; pinyon/juniper woodland, sagebrush scrub, pine/oak woodland ..... E. signatum
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.