|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Stem: hairy or glandular. Leaf: alternate, simple, entire to generally pinnate-lobed, linear to ovate [fan-shaped]; basal short-petioled; cauline sessile. Inflorescence: heads or clusters, terminal, or flowers 1–3 in axils. Flower: calyx lobes connected by narrow membrane forming a pitcher-like projection at sinus, enlarging, not rupturing in fruit; corolla salverform to funnel-shaped. Fruit: ovate to elliptic, explosively dehiscent, valves reflexed on dehiscence. Seed: 1(2–3) per chamber, oblong, generally gelatinous when wet, brown.
15 species: North America, southern South America. (Greek: glue, from wet seed surface) Annual species self-pollinated; perennial herb species generally cross-pollinated.
Unabridged references: [Wilken et al. 1982 Biochem Syst Ecol 10:239–243]
1. Perennial herb from underground rhizomes
2. Plant generally cespitose; stem < 5 cm, internodes congested; leaf blade < 2 cm, lobed; corolla light to deep purple ..... C. larsenii
2' Plant erect; stem > 10 cm, internodes spaced; leaf blade generally 3–8 cm, coarsely toothed; corolla red-orange ..... C. rawsoniana
1' Annual from taproot
3. Stem generally erect, simple, middle internodes short-white-nonglandular-hairy; flowers in heads terminal, occasionally on axillary stems
4. Corolla yellow to orange, fading white, 15–30 mm (< 5 mm in cleistogamous flowers); at least 1 anther exserted; pollen generally blue ..... C. grandiflora
4' Corolla white to pink, <= 15 mm; anthers included; pollen generally white ..... C. linearis
3' Stem generally spreading, branches spreading to ascending, internodes long-translucent-glandular-hairy; flowers 1 or in clusters axillary and terminal
5. Lower cauline leaves elliptic, 3-toothed or 1–2 pinnate-lobed
6. Lower cauline leaves 3-toothed, upper entire; corolla tube purple, throat yellow, lobes violet-pink ..... C. diversifolia
6' Lower cauline leaves 1–2 pinnate-lobed, upper lobed to entire; corolla tube yellow to light pink, throat yellow to white, lobes light pink to white ..... C. heterophylla
5' Lower cauline leaves linear to lanceolate, entire
7. Flowers 1(2–3), corolla 4–6 mm; pollen white ..... C. tenella
7' Flowers 2–3(5), corolla 8–22 mm; pollen generally blue
8. Corolla 8–14 mm, stamens attached at 1 level ..... C. tinctoria
8' Corolla 12–22 mm, stamens attached at > 1 level ..... C. tracyi
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.