|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual, perennial herb, generally glandular.
Stem: prostrate to ascending, generally ± red.
Leaf: generally fleshy, petioled.
Inflorescence: head or umbel; flowers maturing outer before inner or ± simultaneously; receptacle conic, ± smooth; bracts 5–10.
Flower: perianth salverform to trumpet-shaped, generally fragrant, lobes 4–5; stamens 4–5, included; stigma linear, included.
Fruit: body fusiform; wings (0)2–5, lobe-like, prominent, opaque, thick, not continuous above fruit body.
25 species: w North America. (Greek: graceful) [Galloway 2003 FNANM 4:61–69] Closely related to Tripterocalyx; relationships among species Abronia gracilis Benth. (Mex), Abronia maritima, Abronia umbellata, and Abronia villosa need study; hybrids involve Abronia latifolia, Abronia maritima, Abronia umbellata; Abronia gracilis included in TJM (1993) based on misidentifications.
1. Sts densely cespitose or in mats < 20 cm wide; montane; perennial herb
2. Infl 1–5-flowered; plant in mats; leaves cauline, blade ± round; fruit wing 0 ..... A. alpina
2' Infl >= 6-flowered; plant densely tufted; leaves basal, blade oblong to ± round; fruit winged ..... A. nana var. covillei
1' Sts elongate, not cespitose, when prostrate in mats >> 25 cm; coastal, desert, or montane; annual or perennial herb
3. Perennial; leaf fleshy; perianth limb yellow or wine-red; coastal
4. Lf blade ± as long as wide; perianth limb yellow ..... A. latifolia
4' Lf blade longer than wide; perianth limb wine-red ..... A. maritima
3' Annual (perennial herb); leaf ± not fleshy; perianth limb white, pink, red, or magenta; coastal or inland
5. Fr wings thick, hollow, inflated or ± collapsed and folded together; leaves ± glabrous (sparsely puberulent); inland, mostly desert ..... A. turbinata
5' Fr wings thin, solid, rarely 0; leaves hairy to glandular-hairy; coastal or inland, mostly desert
6. Fr wings 2(3); fruit broadly obcordate, with sinus at top between wings ..... A. pogonantha
6' Fr wings generally 3–5 or 0; fruit cordate, obconic, or ovoid, with no sinus at top between wings
7. Fr body ± smooth; immediate coast ..... A. umbellata
8. Perianth limb light to bright magenta, throat with a cream to light yellow spot; inflorescence sparse, flowers 10–18; fruit wings angled near tip ..... var. breviflora
8' Perianth limb light to dark magenta, throat with white spot; inflorescence ± dense, flowers 10–27; fruit wings broadly rounded near tip ..... var. umbellata
7' Fr body with generally raised veins (most evident near tip); ± inland ..... A. villosa
9. Fr wings exceeding fruit body; flower limb (1)1.5–1.8 cm wide ..... var. aurita
9' Fr wings 0 or not or barely exceeding fruit body; flower limb 0.6–1.2(1.5) cm wide ..... var. villosa
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.