|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual, perennial herb, generally glandular. Stem: prostrate to ascending, generally ± red. Leaf: generally fleshy, petioled. Inflorescence: head or umbel; flowers maturing outer before inner or ± simultaneously; receptacle conic, ± smooth; bracts 5–10. Flower: perianth salverform to trumpet-shaped, generally fragrant, lobes 4–5; stamens 4–5, included; stigma linear, included. Fruit: body fusiform; wings (0)2–5, lobe-like, prominent, opaque, thick, not continuous above fruit body.
25 species: western North America. (Greek: graceful) [Galloway 2003 FNANM 4:61–69] Closely related to Tripterocalyx; relationships among species Abronia gracilis Benth. (Mexico), Abronia maritima, Abronia umbellata, and Abronia villosa need study; hybrids involve Abronia latifolia, Abronia maritima, Abronia umbellata; Abronia gracilis included in TJM (1993) based on misidentifications.
1. Stems densely cespitose or in mats < 20 cm wide; montane; perennial herb
2. Inflorescence 1–5-flowered; plant in mats; leaves cauline, blade ± round; fruit wing 0 ..... A. alpina
2' Inflorescence >= 6-flowered; plant densely tufted; leaves basal, blade oblong to ± round; fruit winged ..... A. nana var. covillei
1' Stems elongate, not cespitose, when prostrate in mats >> 25 cm; coastal, desert, or montane; annual or perennial herb
3. Perennial herb; leaf fleshy; perianth limb yellow or wine-red; coastal
4. Leaf blade ± as long as wide; perianth limb yellow ..... A. latifolia
4' Leaf blade longer than wide; perianth limb wine-red ..... A. maritima
3' Annual (perennial herb); leaf ± not fleshy; perianth limb white, pink, red, or magenta; coastal or inland
5. Fruit wings thick, hollow, inflated or ± collapsed and folded together; leaves ± glabrous (sparsely puberulent); inland, mostly desert ..... A. turbinata
5' Fruit wings thin, solid, rarely 0; leaves hairy to glandular-hairy; coastal or inland, mostly desert
6. Fruit wings 2(3); fruit broadly obcordate, with sinus at top between wings ..... A. pogonantha
6' Fruit wings generally 3–5 or 0; fruit cordate, obconic, or ovoid, with no sinus at top between wings
7. Fruit body ± smooth; immediate coast ..... A. umbellata
8. Perianth limb light to bright magenta, throat with a cream to light yellow spot; inflorescence sparse, flowers 10–18; fruit wings angled near tip ..... var. breviflora
8' Perianth limb light to dark magenta, throat with white spot; inflorescence ± dense, flowers 10–27; fruit wings broadly rounded near tip ..... var. umbellata
7' Fruit body with generally raised veins (most evident near tip); ± inland ..... A. villosa
9. Perianth tube 2–3.5 cm, limb (1)1.5–1.8 cm wide; fruit wings each with 1 prolonged, acute lobe distally ..... var. aurita
9' Perianth tube 1.3–2 cm, limb 0.6–1.2(1.5) cm wide; fruit wings each with 0 or 1 shallow, rounded lobe distally ..... var. villosa
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.