|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual, perennial herb.
Stem: generally erect, generally branched from base.
Leaf: cauline, opposite, entire or lobes 3–9, palmate, linear to narrowly lanceolate or spoon-shaped, generally not fused by membrane.
Inflorescence: head, open clusters, few-flowered cyme, or flower 1; bracts ± leaf-like, generally palmate-lobed, lobes generally not connected by translucent membrane; flowers sessile or not.
Flower: sepals generally equal; corolla funnel-shaped, salverform, or bell-shaped, with hairy ring inside tube or generally not (determined at 10×); stamens attached at 1 level, pollen yellow.
30 species: w North America, Chile. (Greek: narrow tube, for corollas of some species) [Battaglia & Patterson 2001 Madroño 48:62–78] Calyx lobe membrane generally expressed as length relative to calyx or lobe length, or as width relative to calyx lobe.
2. Lf lobes 0 ..... L. floribundus subsp. hallii
2' Lf lobes palmate
3. Lf lobes generally 3; pedicel generally 1–6 mm ..... L. floribundus
4. Lf, calyx hairy ..... subsp. floribundus
4' Lf, calyx glabrous ..... subsp. glaber
3' Lf lobes generally 5; pedicel 0 or << 1 mm
5. Corolla tube > calyx; leaf lobes lance-linear; seeds > 2 mm ..... L. pachyphyllus
5' Corolla tube <= calyx; leaf lobes generally linear; seeds < 2 mm ..... L. nuttallii
6. Lf, calyx sparsely hairy ..... subsp. nuttallii
6' Lf, calyx densely hairy
7. Lf lobes 3–7 mm; NCoRH ..... subsp. howellii
7' Lf lobes 5–10 mm; SNE ..... subsp. pubescens
8. Corolla not both salverform and in dense bracted heads
9. Fls sessile
10. Corolla 15–30 mm; c CW ..... L. grandiflorus
10' Corolla < 15 mm; s SW, DSon ..... L. lemmonii
9' Fls pedicelled
11. Hairy ring inside corolla 0, filaments glabrous; corolla generally < calyx
12. St branches generally above base or 0; corolla tube << lobes; stamens exserted; seeds 1 per chamber ..... L. harknessii
12' St branches at base; corolla tube >= lobes; stamens included; seeds > 1 per chamber ..... L. pygmaeus
13. Corolla white; SNF, GV, CW, SW (except ChI) ..... subsp. continentalis
13' Corolla blue; s ChI (San Clemente) ..... subsp. pygmaeus
11' Hairy ring inside corolla present or, if 0, then filaments hairy; corolla > calyx
14. Hairy ring inside corolla 0; filaments hairy at base
15. St branched at base; calyx membrane as wide as lobes; corolla veins obscure ..... L. filipes
15' St branched above base; calyx membrane wider than lobes; corolla veins conspicuous ..... L. liniflorus
14' Hairy ring inside corolla present; filaments glabrous (rarely hairy at base in Leptosiphon septentrionalis)
16. Corolla 2–4 mm; stamens attached at or below hairy ring ..... L. septentrionalis
16' Corolla 4–15 mm; stamens attached above hairy ring
17. Corolla tube < lobes ..... L. aureus
18. Corolla lobes bright yellow ..... subsp. aureus
18' Corolla lobes white ..... subsp. decorus
17' Corolla tube > lobes
19. Stigmas 1–2 mm; corolla throat generally maroon; stamens attached at or above mid throat; SnJV, SnFrB, SCoRI ..... L. ambiguus
19' Stigmas <= 1 mm; corolla throat yellow; stamens attached at or below mid throat; NW, CaR, n&c SNF, n SNH, SnFrB, MP
20. Corolla tube < 5 mm, white, pink, blue, or lilac, <= calyx ..... L. bolanderi
20' Corolla tube 10–15 mm, maroon, > 1.5 × calyx ..... L. rattanii
8' Corollas both salverform (tube >> calyx) and in dense, bracted heads
21. Calyx membrane at least as wide as lobes
22. Bracts white-ciliate
23. Corolla tube 10–25 mm, lobes 2–4 mm ..... L. ciliatus
23' Corolla tube 25–30 mm, lobes 5–8 mm ..... L. montanus
22' Bracts not white-ciliate
24. Lf lobes oblanceolate; corolla lobes generally truncate or ± notched; s SNH ..... L. oblanceolatus
24' Lf lobes linear to lance-linear; corolla lobes rounded; s SNH and elsewhere in s CA
25. Bract lobes not connected by translucent membrane; corolla tube glabrous outside; SnGb, SnBr, DMoj ..... L. breviculus
25' Bract lobes connected at base by translucent membrane; corolla tube hairy outside; s SNH, Teh ..... L. nudatus
21' Calyx membrane much narrower than lobes
26. Corolla tube 7–8 mm, < 2 × calyx ..... L. serrulatus
26' Corolla tube generally > 10 mm, 2–6 × calyx
27. Calyx hairs sparse or 0 except on margins, nonglandular
28. Corolla lobes generally < 4 mm; stigmas <= 1(3) mm ..... L. bicolor
28' Corolla lobes > 4 mm; stigmas < or > 1 mm
29. Corolla lobes 4–6 mm; stigmas generally < 2 mm ..... L. jepsonii
29' Corolla lobes 6–14 mm; stigmas generally > 2 mm
30. Corolla lobes generally 6–9 mm, rounded; leaf lobes spoon-shaped, tips rounded ..... L. rosaceus
30' Corolla lobes generally > 8 mm, often abruptly soft-pointed; leaf lobes narrowly oblanceolate to linear, tips pointed ..... L. androsaceus
27' Calyx hairs dense, glandular or not
31. Lf, calyx lobes needle-like; corolla lobes 3(5) mm, bright yellow ..... L. acicularis
31' Lf, calyx lobes not needle-like; corolla lobes generally > 5 mm, yellow or otherwise colored, but not both < 5 mm and yellow
32. Corolla lobes 2–4 mm, tube 5–16 mm ..... L. minimus
32' Corolla lobes >= 4 mm, tube generally > 14 mm
33. Corolla lobes > 5 mm wide, rounded, bright yellow; calyx lobes generally deltate ..... L. croceus
33' Corolla lobes < 5 mm wide, not both rounded and yellow; calyx lobes generally narrowly lanceolate
34. Tip of middle leaf lobe rounded, generally > 2 mm wide at widest point; corolla lobes abruptly soft pointed or generally truncate, tube generally > 1 mm wide ..... L. latisectus
34' Tip of middle leaf lobe acute, generally < 2 mm wide at widest point; corolla lobes rounded, tube generally < 1 mm wide ..... L. parviflorus
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.