|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Perennial from woody taproot.
Stem: 1–many, decumbent to erect, generally red-tinged.
Leaf: basal and cauline, alternate, entire, toothed, or sharply lobed, glabrous to tomentose or glandular; basal petioled; cauline generally clasping, ± reduced.
Inflorescence: heads generally radiate, 1–30+; involucre hemispheric to bell-shaped; phyllaries ± equal or ± graduated in 2–6 series, herbaceous; receptacle flat to weakly convex, epaleate.
Ray flower: 10–80; corolla 2–35 mm, ray adaxially yellow, abaxially yellow to orange or red.
Disk flower: 20–100+; corolla 5–15 mm, cylindric to funnel-shaped, yellow.
Fruit: 3–4-angled, generally hairy; pappus bristles 15–60, generally rigid, unequal.
± 15 species: w North America. (Greek: ± red hair, describing pappus) [Bogler 2006 FNANM 20:413–424]
Unabridged references: [Mayes 1976 Ph.D. Dissertation, Univ of Texas, Austin]
1. Ray flowers obscure, often << disk flowers (heads ± disciform); involucre subtended by leafy bracts ..... P. carthamoides var. cusickii
1' Ray flowers conspicuous, >> disk flowers; involucre not subtended by leafy bracts
2. Plant glandular
3. Glands sessile; plant glabrous; heads crowded in spike-like clusters ..... P. lucida
3' Glands stalked; plant proximally generally hairy and red-tinged; heads in raceme- or panicle-like clusters
4. Heads in panicle-like clusters; plant sometimes becoming proximally glabrous ..... P. lanceolata var. subviscosa
4' Heads in raceme-like clusters; plant proximally tomentose ..... P. hirta
5. Plant densely glandular; phyllaries ± equal, barely overlapping, herbaceous nearly to base ..... var. hirta
5' Plant sparsely glandular; phyllaries unequal, much overlapping, herbaceous only at tip ..... var. lanulosa
2' Plant glandless
6. Head generally 1(4)
7. Phyllaries ± oblong to oblanceolate, graduated in 3–4 series, glabrous; fruit glabrous ..... P. apargioides
7' Phyllaries ± linear, in 2–3 series, barely or not overlapping, generally tomentose to woolly; fruit silky ..... P. uniflora
8. Herbage tufted-woolly; involucre 10–13 mm; phyllaries unequal ..... var. gossypina
8' Herbage tomentose, becoming glabrous; involucre 6–9 mm; phyllaries equal ..... var. uniflora
6' Heads (1)3–25(50)
9. Heads in ± flat-topped to panicle-like clusters
10. Lvs minutely spiny-serrate ..... P. lanceolata var. lanceolata
10' Lvs entire or minutely dentate ..... P. racemosa var. paniculata (2)
9' Heads in ± narrow raceme- or ± spike-like clusters ..... P. racemosa
11. Involucre 10–15 mm
12. St cobwebby, hairs tangled; basal leaves lanceolate; phyllaries densely long-soft-hairy ..... var. pinetorum
12' St generally glabrous; basal leaves oblanceolate to elliptic; phyllaries ciliate ..... var. racemosa
11' Involucre 5–9 mm
13. Heads in a narrow raceme- to panicle-like cluster, not crowded ..... var. paniculata (2)
13' Heads generally crowded in a spike-like cluster
14. Involucre 12–16 mm diam, phyllaries yellow-green throughout, sparsely tomentose near base or throughout, tip glandular-ciliate ..... var. congesta
14' Involucre 5–7 mm diam, phyllaries green-tipped, leathery, ciliate (except recurved tip), margin translucent ..... var. sessiliflora
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.