|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Perennial; stolons generally 0 (in CA); sap milky; herbage glabrous or with long simple hairs, shorter, branched hairs, and/or gland-tipped hairs.
Stem: erect, 1–12 dm.
Leaf: basal and/or cauline, alternate.
Inflorescence: heads liguliflorous, few to many in raceme-like, ± flat-topped, or panicle-like clusters; involucre cylindric to ± bell-shaped; phyllaries in 2–4 series of different lengths; receptacle ± flat, epaleate.
Flower: 6–150+; ligule generally yellow (white or orange, occasionally ± purple-tinged), readily withering.
Fruit: generally ± cylindric (± urn-shaped), tan to red-brown or black; pappus of many slender, brittle, minutely barbed bristles, dull white, straw-colored, or tan to ± brown.
± 250 species: ± worldwide. (Greek: hawk) [Strother 2006 FNANM 19:278–294]
1. Ligule white or orange
2. Ligule white; stolons 0; native of forests ..... H. albiflorum
2' Ligule orange; stolons present; weed of disturbed sites ..... [H. aurantiacum]
1' Ligule yellow
3. Lf glabrous on 1 or both faces
4. Lf glabrous abaxially, sparsely to ± densely long-hairy adaxially; phyllaries glabrous or sparsely glandular; flowers 6–12 ..... H. bolanderi (2)
4' Lf glabrous; phyllaries long-hairy, branched-hairy, and black-glandular; flowers 20–60 ..... H. triste (2)
3' Lf ± hairy on faces (glabrous in Hieracium scouleri)
5. Phyllaries generally without long, glandless hairs (occasionally long-hairy in Hieracium argutum), often minutely branched-hairy and/or glandular
6. Fls 30–60 ..... H. parryi
6' Fls 4–30
7. Fls 15–30; involucre 7–9(12) mm; generally at least some leaves wavy-toothed (all entire); pappus ± white; c&s CA ..... H. argutum (2)
7' Fls generally 4–12(15); involucre (7)8–12 mm; leaves generally entire (minutely dentate); pappus tan to ± brown; KR, NCoR, CaRH
8. Peduncle glabrous or stalked-glandular; fruit ± urn-shaped ..... H. bolanderi (2)
8' Peduncle branched-hairy; fruit ± cylindric, not distally narrowed ..... H. greenei
5' Phyllaries with long, glandless hairs, occasionally also branched-hairy and/or glandular
9. Lf faces minutely rough-hairy and/or stalked glandular ..... H. triste (2)
9' Lf faces long-hairy, also sometimes branched-hairy (rarely glabrous in Hieracium scouleri)
10. Fls 6–12(15); involucre ± cylindric to ± bell-shaped ..... H. horridum
10' Fls 15–50; involucre obconic to bell-shaped
11. Some or all leaves wavy-toothed; c&s CA ..... H. argutum (2)
11' Lvs all entire or some minutely dentate; n CA
12. Cauline leaves 0–3(5); pappus 4–6 mm ..... H. nudicaule
12' Cauline leaves generally (3)5–10+; pappus 6–7 mm ..... H. scouleri
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.