|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Perennial herb; stolons generally 0 (in California); sap milky; herbage glabrous or with long simple hairs, shorter, branched hairs, and/or gland-tipped hairs. Stem: erect, 1–12 dm. Leaf: basal and/or cauline, alternate. Inflorescence: heads liguliflorous, few to many in raceme-like, ± flat-topped, or panicle-like clusters; involucre cylindric to ± bell-shaped; phyllaries in 2–4 series of different lengths; receptacle ± flat, epaleate. Flower: 6–150+; ligule generally yellow (white or orange, occasionally ± purple-tinged), readily withering. Fruit: generally ± cylindric (± urn-shaped), tan to red-brown or black; pappus of many slender, brittle, minutely barbed bristles, dull white, straw-colored, or tan to ± brown.
± 250 species: ± worldwide. (Greek: hawk) [Strother 2006 FNANM 19:278–294]
1. Ligule white or orange
2. Ligule white; stolons 0; native of forests ..... H. albiflorum
2' Ligule orange; stolons present; weed of disturbed sites ..... [H. aurantiacum]
1' Ligule yellow
3. Leaf glabrous on 1 or both faces
4. Leaf glabrous abaxially, sparsely to ± densely long-hairy adaxially; phyllaries glabrous or sparsely glandular; flowers 6–12 ..... H. bolanderi (2)
4' Leaf glabrous; phyllaries long-hairy, branched-hairy, and black-glandular; flowers 20–60 ..... H. triste (2)
3' Leaf ± hairy on faces (glabrous in Hieracium scouleri)
5. Phyllaries generally without long, glandless hairs (occasionally long-hairy in Hieracium argutum), often minutely branched-hairy and/or glandular
6. Flowers 30–60 ..... H. parryi
6' Flowers 4–30
7. Flowers 15–30; involucre 7–9(12) mm; generally at least some leaves wavy-toothed (all entire); pappus ± white; c&s California ..... H. argutum (2)
7' Flowers generally 4–12(15); involucre (7)8–12 mm; leaves generally entire (minutely dentate); pappus tan to ± brown; Klamath Ranges, North Coast Ranges, High Cascade Range
8. Peduncle glabrous or stalked-glandular; fruit ± urn-shaped ..... H. bolanderi (2)
8' Peduncle branched-hairy; fruit ± cylindric, not distally narrowed ..... H. greenei
5' Phyllaries with long, glandless hairs, occasionally also branched-hairy and/or glandular
9. Leaf faces minutely rough-hairy and/or stalked glandular ..... H. triste (2)
9' Leaf faces long-hairy, also sometimes branched-hairy (rarely glabrous in Hieracium scouleri)
10. Flowers 6–12(15); involucre ± cylindric to ± bell-shaped ..... H. horridum
10' Flowers 15–50; involucre obconic to bell-shaped
11. Some or all leaves wavy-toothed; c&s California ..... H. argutum (2)
11' Leaves all entire or some minutely dentate; n California
12. Cauline leaves 0–3(5); pappus 4–6 mm ..... H. nudicaule
12' Cauline leaves generally (3)5–10+; pappus 6–7 mm ..... H. scouleri
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.