|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Perennial herb to shrub, generally resinous. Stem: 2–25 dm, leafy. Leaf: generally sessile or short-petioled. Inflorescence: heads radiate, disciform, or discoid; involucres cylindric or obconic to bell-shaped; phyllaries graduated in 5–9 series, linear to (ob)lanceolate, tips erect or generally recurved; receptacle flat, pitted, epaleate. Ray or pistillate flower: 0 or 5–18; corolla yellow or sometimes becoming red-purple, ray generally 2–9 mm (<= 1.8 mm in Hazardia cana). Disk flower: 4–60; corolla 4–11 mm, gradually flared from middle, yellow, tinged red, or sometimes becoming red-purple. Fruit: 1–10 mm, 4–5-angled; pappus of 20–60 barbed bristles, 2.5–12 mm, white to red-brown.
13 species: western North America. (Barclay Hazard, 19th century California botanist) [Clark 1979 Madroño 26:105–127; Clark 2006 FNANM 20:445–449]
Unabridged references: [Clark 1979 Madroño 26:105–127]
1. Perennial herb or subshrub from woody root-crown ..... H. whitneyi
2. Heads discoid; disk fruit <= 10 mm ..... var. discoidea
2' Heads radiate; disk fruit generally 5–8 mm ..... var. whitneyi
1' Shrub; stems arising from woody trunk
3. Heads discoid
4. Fruit 2–4 mm — Mojave Desert ..... H. brickellioides (2)
4' Fruit 5–8 mm
5. Flowers 4–8; leaf 15–25 mm, 7–12 mm wide; South Coast Ranges ..... H. stenolepis
5' Flowers 9–30; leaf 15–50 mm, 10–20 mm wide; s San Joaquin Valley, Outer South Coast Ranges, Southwestern California, n Baja California ..... H. squarrosa
6. Herbage generally sparsely hairy, generally not resinous; involucre 8–12 mm; flowers 9–16, corolla 9–10 mm; pappus white to red-brown ..... var. grindelioides
6' Herbage glabrous to sparsely hairy, generally resinous; involucre 11–15 mm; flowers 18–30, corolla 10–11 mm; pappus tan
7. Stem glabrous to scabrous; phyllaries smooth, resinous, ± truncate to obtuse, abruptly pointed, ± erect ..... var. obtusa
7' Stem sparsely hairy distally or becoming glabrous; phyllaries glandular, obtuse to acute, recurved ..... var. squarrosa
3' Heads radiate (rays sometimes inconspicuous) or disciform
8. Ray generally exceeding disk corolla; leaf margin ± entire ..... H. orcuttii
8' Ray not exceeding disk corolla; leaf margin generally ± entire to toothed
9. Leaf soft-hairy to scabrous; plant 2–8 dm ..... H. brickellioides (2)
9' Leaf densely tomentose, at least abaxially; plant 6–25 dm
10. Leaf thin, becoming glabrous adaxially; outer phyllary tips loosely woolly-tufted; disk corolla 5–8 mm ..... H. cana
10' Leaf thick, ± densely tomentose adaxially; phyllary generally densely woolly throughout; disk corolla 8–10 mm ..... H. detonsa
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.