|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
[Annual] perennial herbs to subshrub from taproot or woody caudex, glabrous or tomentose, often glandular-sticky.
Leaf: simple, alternate, generally not fleshy, entire, crenate, serrate, or pinnately lobed, gland-dotted.
Inflorescence: heads generally radiate (discoid); involucre obconic to hemispheric, generally gummy; phyllaries in 4–10 graduated series; receptacle flat to convex, ± pitted, epaleate.
Ray flower: 0–60; corolla yellow.
Disk flower: corolla yellow; anther tip lanceolate; style-branch appendages linear to lanceolate, generally >= stigmatic portion.
Fruit: cylindric or swollen-obconic, shiny-white to ± brown, smooth or ridged, glabrous; pappus of 1–6 narrow awns (occasionally construed as bristle-like) [25–40 bristles], ± < disk corolla, generally entire, deciduous.
± 60 species: c&w North America, South America. (D.H. Grindel, Latvian botanist, 1776–1836) [Strother & Wetter 2006 FNANM 20:424–436] Variable. Morphologically intermediate plants common where species ranges overlap. Strother & Wetter treated all CA species except Grindelia squarrosa and Grindelia fraxinipratensis in Grindelia hirsutula. Grindelia ciliata (Nutt.) Spreng. [Prionopsis ciliata (Nutt.) Nutt.], with pappus of many united bristles (falling as a unit), is an historical waif from n CCo, n SCo.
1. Lvs crenate, each tooth with a distinct, ± yellow bump near tip ..... G. squarrosa var. serrulata
1' Lvs entire or serrate; if serrate, ± yellow bump near tip of teeth 0;
2. Plants of dunes, salt marshes, coastal bluffs, tidal flats, sloughs; leaves ± fleshy; NCo to SCo, deltaic GV (Suisun)
3. Sts woody in proximal 3–15 dm, erect; phyllaries appressed to head except for short, erect tips, tip < 3 mm long; tidal wetlands; CCo (San Francisco Bay) ..... G. stricta var. angustifolia
3' Sts herbaceous or woody in proximal 0–1 dm, erect, decumbent, or prostrate; phyllaries generally spreading, recurved, or coiled; widespread
4. Sts erect, 6–20 dm; salt marshes, sloughs
5. Lvs on flowering stems generally widest at base or of ± equal width throughout; Deltaic GV (Suisun) ..... G. ×paludosa
5' Lvs on flowering stems generally widest at rounded tip or ± equally wide at tip and base but narrower in middle of leaf; NCo ..... G. stricta var. stricta (2)
4' Sts prostrate, decumbent, or erect, if erect, stems 1–6 dm; dunes, coastal bluffs
6. Plants decumbent or erect; leaves generally sessile, sometimes clasping stems, ± same width throughout or widest near base; NCo to SCo, ChI ..... G. stricta var. platyphylla
6' Plants decumbent; leaves generally tapered to petioles, widest at rounded tip; NCo ..... G. stricta var. stricta (2)
2' Plants of fields, grassland, woodland, serpentine soils, disturbed areas, or interior wetlands; leaves not fleshy; widespread (absent from Suisun delta)
7. Phyllaries flattened throughout, gradually tapered to tips; phyllary tips erect; plants generally ± hairy
8. Heads 7–10 mm diam; rays 8–9 mm; PR (San Diego Co.) ..... G. hallii (2)
8' Involucres 7–25 mm diam; rays 8–20 mm; NCoR, GV, CW ..... G. hirsutula
7' Phyllaries flattened only at bases, rounded in ×-section distally, abruptly narrowed to tips; phyllary tips spreading, reflexed, or coiled; plants generally glabrous
9. Heads ± obconic; e DMoj, wet clay of meadows, woodland borders ..... G. fraxinipratensis
9' Heads bell-shaped or hemispheric, widening abruptly at the base; widespread
10. Phyllaries appressed to head for > 3/4 length, reflexed or coiled portion < 3 mm; PR (San Diego Co.) ..... G. hallii (2)
10' Phyllaries appressed to head for < 1/2 length, spreading, reflexed, or coiled portion > 5 mm; widespread
11. Outer phyllaries reflexed, curved, or coiled < 270° ..... G. camporum (2)
11' > 75% of phyllaries coiled or recurved 270–360° or more
12. Plants 6–25 dm; mature involucre bell-shaped to hemispheric, 15–22 mm diam; SnJV, SCo (geog subset of sp.) ..... G. camporum (2)
12' Plants 1–5 dm; mature involucre bell-shaped, 7–12 mm diam; CaR, MP ..... G. nana
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.