|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Perennial herb, shrub, tree, fibrous succulent or not, from bulbs or rhizomes. Stem: above ground or not, branched or not. Leaf: simple, deciduous or not, basal or in terminal rosettes, generally sessile, linear, lanceolate, oblanceolate or ovate, fibrous or not, thin and flexible or thick and rigid or succulent; margin entire, fine-serrate, dentate, or with filaments, tips rigid or flexible, with a spine or not. Flower: bisexual; perianth parts 6, in 2 petal-like whorls, free or ± fused; stamens 6, ± fused to perianth, filaments often wide, succulent; ovary superior or inferior, chambers 3, style 1 (thick, poorly defined), stigma head-like or 3-lobed. Fruit: capsule, indehiscent, loculicidal, or septicidal. Seed: few to many, ± flat or ovoid, generally black.
23 genera, 637 species: worldwide. —Scientific Editors: Dale W. McNeal, Thomas J. Rosatti.
1. Generally shrub- or tree-like; leaves thick, generally rigid
2. Ovary inferior; perianth yellow to green-yellow ..... AGAVE
2' Ovary superior; perianth white or cream to ± green, purple-tinged or -tipped or not, or red-brown abaxially, ± white adaxially
3. Fruit erect, loculicidal; peduncle generally > 2.5 cm wide, bracts generally reflexed; stigma head-like ..... HESPEROYUCCA
3' Fruit erect or pendent, tardily septicidal or generally indehiscent; peduncle generally < 2 cm wide, bracts generally ascending; stigma 3-lobed ..... YUCCA
1' Perennial herb, generally not shrub- or tree-like; leaves thin, flexible
4. Stem not evident above ground — leaves, flowers tufted ..... LEUCOCRINUM
4' Stem evident above ground
5. Inflorescence a panicle
6. Style thread-like, deciduous; perianth twisted together above ovary in fruit ..... CHLOROGALUM
6' Style ± stout, persistent; perianth not twisted together above fruit ..... HASTINGSIA (2)
5' Inflorescence a raceme
7. Perianth parts < 1 cm, white (green-white) to ± yellow or ± purple ..... HASTINGSIA (2)
7' Perianth parts 1.2–6 cm, white or blue to ± purple
8. Perianth parts blue to ± purple (white), fused < 5% of length; scapose; leaf margins not wavy ..... CAMASSIA
8' Perianth parts white with silver-green midstripe especially abaxially, fused ± 25% of length; not scapose; leaf margins wavy ..... HESPEROCALLIS
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.