|University of California, Berkeley|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
1. Involucre 9–15 mm; fruit glabrous or with few glandular hairs; style appendages ± = stigmatic portion ..... C. depressus
1' Involucre 4–10 mm; fruit moderately to densely hairy; style appendages generally < stigmatic portion
2. Heads generally overtopped by distal leaves; flowers 2–3(4); style branches generally not exserted beyond spreading corolla lobes; lower phyllaries leaf-like and >= rest of involucre ..... C. humilis
2' Heads not overtopped by distal leaves (occasionally distal may reach into inflorescence but not beyond); flowers 3–5(14); lower phyllaries ± green but << rest of involucre; style branches exserted beyond spreading corolla lobes.
3. Leaves thread-like, 0.5–2 mm wide; phyllary tips acuminate to rigidly short-pointed; flowers 4–5 ..... C. greenei
3' Leaves thread-like or linear to oblong or (ob)lanceolate, 0.5–10 mm wide; phyllary tips acute to obtuse or rounded; flowers 3–14 ..... C. viscidiflorus
4. Distal stems and often leaves hairy
5. Stem ± green, bristly hairy; leaves green, 2–6 mm wide, rough-hairy especially abaxially, sometimes glabrous adaxially, 3–5-veined ..... subsp. lanceolatus
5' Stem and leaves gray-green, puberulent; leaves 1–2(4) mm wide; 1-veined (sometimes 3-veined proximally) ..... subsp. puberulus
4' Stem glabrous; leaf faces glabrous, margins ± ciliate
6. Leaves 0.5–1 mm wide; flowers 3–4(5); involucre ± obconic ..... subsp. axillaris
6' Leaves 1–10 mm wide; flowers 4–14; involucre narrowly cylindric ..... subsp. viscidiflorus
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.