|University of California, Berkeley|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
1. Heads generally nearly sessile along well-developed side branches of flowering stems; ray white, purple-veined abaxially
2. Peduncle bracts and calyx-like bracts subtending head often much exceeding phyllaries; phyllaries 6–12 mm, tips generally > bodies; fruit width 0.5–0.6 × length ..... subsp. calyculata
2' Peduncle bracts not or barely exceeding phyllaries, calyx-like bracts subtending head 0; phyllaries 3–7 mm, tips generally < bodies; fruit width 0.6–0.75 × length ..... subsp. clevelandii
1' Heads generally terminating elongate side branches of flowering stems or ± sessile in tight groups; ray white or yellow, purple-veined abaxially or not
3. Leaves generally puberulent or minutely bristly or strigose and nonglandular, distal rarely long-soft-hairy and glandular; ray white, not purple-veined abaxially except North Coast; heads in panicle-like cluster ..... subsp. tracyi
3' Leaves short-hairy, ± shaggy, or silky-hairy, all or distal glandular; ray white or yellow, purple-veined abaxially; heads in panicle-like cluster or in tight groups
4. Leaves ± shaggy, hairs at margins often longer on distal leaves; some or all heads generally in tight groups, sometimes in flat-topped or panicle-like cluster; phyllaries 6–10 mm, tips generally > bodies; ray white ..... subsp. congesta
4' Leaves short-hairy, ± shaggy, or silky-hairy, hairs at margins not notably longer on distal leaves; heads in panicle-like cluster; phyllaries 3–7(8) mm, tips generally < bodies; ray white or yellow
5. Ray yellow ..... subsp. lutescens
5' Ray white ..... subsp. luzulifolia
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.