|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Shrub, tree, generally evergreen; monoecious or dioecious. Leaf: simple, cauline, alternate or opposite (either ± 4-ranked) or whorled in 3s (6-ranked), linear or scale-, awl- or needle-like (sometimes linear and awl-like on 1 plant, or on juvenile or injured plants), generally decurrent, covering young stems. Pollen cone: axillary or terminal. Seed cone: ± fleshy to generally woody, generally hard at maturity; scales opposite or whorled, peltate or not. Seed: 1–many per scale, angled or lateral winged, generally wind-dispersed.
30 genera, 130+ species: ± worldwide, especially North America, Eurasia. [Farjon 2005 Monogr Cupressaceae Sciadopitys. RBG, Kew] Incl (paraphyletic) Taxodiaceae. Taxa of (polyphyletic) Cupressus in TJM (1993) now in Callitropsis, Chamaecyparis, Hesperocyparis. —Scientific Editor: Thomas J. Rosatti.
1. Leaves alternate, linear or awl-like
2. Leaves on sprouting, rapidly growing, or fertile stems awl-like, appressed, not ranked, < 8 mm, on other stems linear (to lance-linear), spreading, ± 2-ranked, 5–25 mm; seed cone 13–35 mm ..... SEQUOIA
2' Leaves awl-like, appressed, ± 4-ranked, < 15 mm; seed cone 40–90 mm ..... SEQUOIADENDRON
1' Leaves opposite or whorled, scale-like to less often awl- or needle-like
3. Seed cone ± fleshy, berry-like, scales fused; seed wing 0; leaves whorled in 3s or not ..... JUNIPERUS
3' Seed cone woody, not berry-like, scales ± free; seed wing present, vestigial or not; leaves not whorled in 3s
4. Seed cone ± oblong, scales not peltate, ± overlapping; seeds (1)2 per fertile scale
5. Seed cone ± pendent, scales in 3 pairs, middle pair fertile; leaves opposite, appearing whorled in 4s, exposed part of each leaf longer than wide; seed wings unequal ..... CALOCEDRUS
5' Seed cone erect to reflexed, scales in 4–6 pairs, middle 2–3 pairs fertile; leaves opposite, ± not appearing whorled in 4s; exposed part of each leaf ± as long as wide; seed wings ± equal ..... THUJA
4' Seed cone ± spheric to widely cylindric, scales peltate, abutting; seeds generally many per fertile scale
6. Seed cone maturing 1st year, scale projection generally present, <= 1 mm, base depressed from edge; leaves of 2 kinds ..... CHAMAECYPARIS
6' Seed cone maturing 2nd year, scale projection generally > 1 mm, especially 1st year, base level with or rising from edge; leaves of 1 kind (except Callitropsis)
7. Ultimate 3 orders of shoots in 2-dimensional, pendent clusters; seed cone opening, falling at maturity, scales generally 4–6 ..... CALLITROPSIS
7' Ultimate 3 orders of shoots in 3-dimensional, spreading clusters (except sometimes Hesperocyparis macnabiana); seed cone generally closed, falling many years after maturity, scales generally 6–12 ..... HESPEROCYPARIS
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.