|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual to shrub. Leaf: generally simple, generally alternate, generally petioled; stipules 0; blade entire to deeply lobed. Inflorescence: various. Flower: bisexual; calyx lobes generally 5; corolla ± radial, cylindric to rotate, lobes generally 5; stamens 5, on corolla tube, alternate lobes; ovary superior, generally 2-chambered, style 1. Fruit: berry, loculicidal or septicidal capsule, [(drupe)], 2–5-chambered.
75 genera, 3000 species: worldwide, especially ± tropics; many alien weeds in California; many cultivated for food, drugs, or ornamental (potato, tomato, peppers, tobacco, petunia); many TOXIC. [Hunziker 2001 Genera Solanacearum. Koeltz Scientific Books] Nicandra physalodes (L.) Gaertn. is a waif. —Scientific Editor: Thomas J. Rosatti.
Unabridged references: [Hunziker 2001 Genera Solanacearum: The Genera of Solanaceae Illustrated, Arranged According to a New System by A.T. Hunziker. Koeltz Scientific Books, Königstein, Germany]
1. Fruit a capsule
2. Fruit prickly ..... DATURA
2' Fruit not prickly
3. Calyx lobes > tube, winged toward base ..... [NICANDRA]
3' Calyx lobes generally < tube, not wing-like at base
4. Corolla narrowly urn-shaped; seeds flat, wing 0.5 mm wide ..... ORYCTES
4' Corolla funnel-shaped to salverform; seeds angled but not flat, wing 0
5. Flowers in racemes or panicles, only lower in axils of leaf-like bracts ..... NICOTIANA
5' Flowers 1 in axils of leaves or leaf-like bracts ..... PETUNIA
1' Fruit a berry (dry or fleshy)
6. Corolla salverform to funnel-, bell-, or urn-shaped, or lobes reflexed
7. Shrub, generally with thorns ..... LYCIUM
7' Perennial herb or shrub, unarmed
8. Plant erect shrub; corolla narrowly funnel-shaped ..... CESTRUM
8' Plant decumbent or climbing perennial herb; corolla urn-shaped ..... SALPICHROA
6' Corolla ± rotate to shallowly bell-shaped or lobes reflexed
9. Anthers opening by pores or short slits near tip ..... SOLANUM (2)
9' Anthers opening by slits from tip (except any sterile part) to near base
10. Anthers generally > filaments
11. Anthers adherent, tube-like around style; leaves ± odd-1–2-pinnate ..... LYCOPERSICON
11' Anthers free, not tube-like around style; leaves entire to deeply pinnately lobed ..... SOLANUM (2)
10' Anthers generally < filaments
12. Calyx in fruit ± enlarged but not bladder-like; corolla tube tomentose between stamen bases ..... CHAMAESARACHA
12' Calyx in fruit bladder-like; corolla tube hairy but not tomentose between stamen bases ..... PHYSALIS
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.