|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual, perennial herb, shrub; often glandular; root-parasites, roots modified into absorptive structures.
Stem: generally round in ×-section.
Leaf: generally simple, generally alternate, reduced to ± fleshy scales in non-green plants lacking chlorophyll; stipules generally 0.
Inflorescence: spike to panicle, generally bracted, or flowers 1–2 in axils.
Flower: bisexual; calyx lobes 0–5; corolla generally strongly bilateral, generally 2-lipped (upper lip generally 2-lobed, lower lip generally 3-lobed), abaxial lobes outside other lobes in bud; stamens epipetalous, 4 in 2 pairs (sometimes 1 pair sterile), additional staminode 0(1), anther sacs unequal; ovary superior, chambers 1–2, placentas 2–4, parietal, style 1, stigma lobes 0 or 2.
Fruit: capsule, generally ± ovoid, loculicidal, valves 2–4.
Seed: many, small, angled; surface smooth or netted.
99 genera, 2060 species: worldwide, especially n temperate and Africa. [Bennett & Matthews 2006 Amer J Bot 93:1039–1051] High yield losses in many crops caused by Orobanche species in Africa, Medit, Middle East, and e Europe. —Scientific Editors: Robert Patterson, Bruce G. Baldwin.
1. Plant ± purple, brown, tan, or yellow-white, not green (holoparasites); leaves reduced to ± fleshy bracts; corolla upper lip entire or 2-lobed
2. Infl glabrous; bracts widely and closely overlapping, inrolled at tip; tip of upper corolla lip incurved at maturity; capsule 3–4 valved ..... KOPSIOPSIS
2' Infl hairy; bracts little or not overlapping, erect or recurved at tip; upper corolla lip straight to recurved at maturity; capsule 2-valved ..... OROBANCHE
1' Plant generally green at least in part (hemiparasites); leaves normally expanded; upper corolla lip fused into a beak or hood
3. Lvs opposite, at least distally on stem
4. Upper corolla lip pink, lower lip white; calyx lobes unequal; fruit generally wider than long ..... BELLARDIA
4' Corolla yellow or red-purple; calyx lobes ± equal; fruit longer than wide ..... PARENTUCELLIA
3' Lvs alternate or ± basal
5. Tip of upper 2 corolla lobes not rounded, open, opening directed forward, forming a beak
6. Annual to subshrub; anther sacs 2 per stamen; corolla throat not indented (except Castilleja campestris); seed coat generally loose-fitting ..... CASTILLEJA
6' Annual; anther sac 1 per stamen; corolla throat generally abruptly indented forming a fold proximal to lower lip; seed coat generally tight-fitting ..... TRIPHYSARIA
5' Tip of upper 2 corolla lobes rounded, closed, opening directed downward forming a hood enclosing anthers and style
7. Anther sacs 2 per stamen, equal; leaves toothed or generally > 7-lobed ..... PEDICULARIS
7' Anther sac 1 per stamen or 2, unequal; leaves entire or lobes 3–7(11)
8. Calyx unequally 4-lobed; bracts distinct from leaves or not; lower corolla lip generally 3-toothed; inflorescence a spike ..... ORTHOCARPUS
8' Calyx sheath-like, occasionally ± notched; bracts grading from leaf-like to calyx-like; lower corolla lip 3-lobed; inflorescence various
9. Lvs entire and linear, or palmately 3–7-lobed, segments narrow; inflorescence a short dense spike, < 2(5) cm, or flowers 1, scattered; fertile stamens (2)4; middle lobe of lower corolla lip tightly rolled under, tip distinctly folded inside-out ..... CORDYLANTHUS
9' Lvs entire and oblong to lanceolate, or pinnately lobed; inflorescence an elongated spike, generally > 3 cm; fertile stamens 2 (except Chloropyron maritimum), sterile stamens reduced to rudimentary filaments or bearing sterile, long-hairy, appendages; middle lobe of lower corolla lip erect, not rolled under
10. Lvs entire; calyx = or slightly < corolla, notched ± 1 mm at tip; anther sacs ± overlapping; saline and alkaline habitats ..... CHLOROPYRON
10' Lvs pinnately lobed; calyx ± 1/2 corolla, divided > 1/2; anther sacs widely separated; not in saline or alkaline habitats ..... DICRANOSTEGIA
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.