|University of California, Berkeley|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
1. Fruit a berry; seeds often > 5 mm; leaves generally opposite (whorled).
2. Calyx lobes, petals 5; seed coat shiny, hard ..... [MYRTUS]
2' Calyx lobes, petals 4; seed coat membranous
3. Ripe fruit dark purple; seeds generally > 1, lenticular; colyledons ± = embryonic stem ..... [LUMA]
3' Ripe fruit red or purple; seed generally 1, spheric; cotyledons >> embryonic stem ..... [SYZYGIUM]
1' Fruit a capsule or nut; seeds generally 1–3 mm; mature leaves alternate or opposite
4. Perianth parts fused into bud cap in bud, shed at flower as a unit ..... EUCALYPTUS
4' Perianth parts free in bud, each segment persistent or falling separately
5. Flowers in a dense cylindrical cluster surrounding stem at tip or just below; stamens several × > perianth ..... MELALEUCA
5' Flowers 1 or in small clusters, not surrounding stem; stamens <= perianth
6. Leaves opposite, linear or awl-shaped; fruit a 1-chambered nut; style with ring of hairs just below stigma ..... [CHAMELAUCIUM]
6' Leaves alternate, oblanceolate to obovate-oblong; fruit a many-chambered capsule; style glabrous ..... LEPTOSPERMUM
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.