|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
[(Annual), shrub], perennial herb generally from [ bulb], corm, or rhizome.
Stem: generally erect, generally ± round in ×-section.
Leaf: generally basal (few cauline), 2-ranked, ± sword-shaped, blade edge-wise to stem, with midvein or not; bases overlapped, sheathing.
Inflorescence: generally ± terminal; spikes, umbel-like cymes, or flowers 1; flowers in spikes or 1 subtended by 2 subopposite flower bracts; umbel-like cymes enclosed by 2 subopposite, generally large, leaf-like inflorescence bracts, including various flower bracts.
Flower: bisexual ( unisexual), radial, with stamens erect, enclosing style, or bilateral, with stamens, style to 1 side, stamens not enclosing style; perianth radial, parts free or generally fused into tube above ovary, generally petal-like, in 2 series of 3, outer ± like inner (or not, in Iris, parts in that genus called sepals, petals), upper ± like lower or not; stamens 3, attached at base of outer 3 perianth parts or in tube, generally free; ovary inferior [(superior)], [(1)]3-chambered, placentas axile [( parietal)], style 1, branches 3, entire to 2-branched, thread- or petal-like with stigma abaxial, proximal to tip.
Fruit: capsule, loculicidal.
Seed: few to many.
± 65 genera, ± 2050 species: worldwide, especially Africa; many cultivated (e.g., Crocus, Dietes, Freesia, Gladiolus, Iris, Sisyrinchium). [Goldblatt & Manning 2008 The Iris Family: Natural History and Classification. Timber Press] Gladiolus italicus Mill., Gladiolus tristis L. are urban weeds. Sparaxis grandiflora (D. Delaroche) Ker Gawl., Sparaxis tricolor (Schneev.) Ker Gawl. are waifs. —Scientific Editor: Thomas J. Rosatti.
1. Style branches petal-like, conspicuous, opposite stamens; outer perianth parts (sepals) unlike inner (petals); stamens free ..... IRIS
1' Style branches thread-like, not conspicuous, generally alternate stamens; outer perianth parts ± like inner; stamens free or united at base
2. Fls in umbel-like cymes
3. Perianth parts not alike, outer sepal-like, white adaxially, ± green abaxially, inner petal-like, generally white ..... [Libertia formosa]
3' Perianth parts ± alike, red-purple to magenta or ± blue, violet, yellow, occasionally pink or white
4. St not winged; perianth red-purple to magenta, occasionally pink or white, generally 18–33 mm; filaments fused ± in basal 1/2 ..... OLSYNIUM
4' St winged; perianth red-purple, ± blue, violet, yellow (white), generally < 18 mm; filaments ± completely free to ± completely fused ..... SISYRINCHIUM
2' Fls not in umbel-like cymes
5. Fls 1 on peduncles; plant generally < 10 cm; leaves attached below ground, ± round to widely elliptic in ×-section, generally 4-grooved ..... ROMULEA
5' Fls in spikes or panicles of spikes; plant generally > 20 cm; leaves attached below and above ground, flat with prominent midvein or cross-shaped in ×-section
6. Style branches divided ± to middle
7. Fl stem bent ± 90° below lowest flower, spike 1-ranked; leaf axils without bulblets after flower ..... [Freesia leichtlinii subsp. alba]
7' Fl stem erect, spike 2-ranked; leaf axils with bulblets after flower or not ..... WATSONIA
6' Style branches entire or notched at tip
8. Fl bracts membranous or papery and crinkled, outer 3-lobed to -toothed or often cut into lance-linear segments in upper 1/2 or at tip, inner 2-lobed or -toothed
9. Fl bracts membranous, outer 3-lobed to -toothed; stamens attached at mouth ..... [Ixia maculata]
9' Fl bracts papery, crinkled, outer often cut into lance-linear segments in upper 1/2 or at tip; stamens attached in tube ..... [SPARAXIS]
8' Fl bracts green, soft or leathery, outer entire, inner notched at tip
10. Perianth tube abruptly enlarged above base, lobes unequal, upper 1 > lower 5; inflorescence generally an erect spike (panicle) ..... CHASMANTHE
10' Perianth tube not abruptly enlarged above base, lobes subequal; inflorescence generally an arched spike or panicle of spikes ..... CROCOSMIA
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.