|University of California, Berkeley|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
1. Plants floating (rooted in mud when stranded); leaves (when floating) with swollen spongy cells abaxially ..... LIMNOBIUM
1' Plants submersed to emergent; leaves without swollen spongy cells abaxially
2. Leaves basal, petioled, alternate, lower, submersed blades elliptic to ovate, upper, floating or emergent blades ovate to cordate or reniform — flower bisexual, emergent ..... [OTTELIA]
2' Leaves cauline, sessile, opposite to whorled, blade oblong or linear
3. Perianth 0; leaves ± opposite to ± whorled; seeds smooth or pitted ..... NAJAS
3' Perianth present; leaves opposite or generally whorled; seeds smooth
4. Leaves 1.2–4 cm, 2–5 mm wide; staminate flowers 2–3, petals 8–10 mm ..... EGERIA
4' Leaves < 1.5(2) cm, < 3 mm wide; staminate flowers 1, petals generally <= 5 mm
5. Leaves often 2 per node proximally, 3–7 distally, minutely serrate, midrib abaxially ± smooth ..... ELODEA
5' Leaves generally 4–8 per node, coarsely serrate, midrib abaxially prickled or not ..... HYDRILLA
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.