|University of California, Berkeley|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
1. Plant glabrous; ×-sections of fresh leaves ± uniformly green, visible at >= 10× magnification; calyx generally bilateral, 1 or 3 lobes generally larger, lobes in age generally hooded and keeled, horned or wing-margined; ovary rounded to lenticular, stigmas glabrous, arising from tip of ovary; seeds horizontal, lenticular and shiny, or flat and dull
2. Perennial herb, subshrub, or occasionally annual; mature calyx lobes hooded, keeled, horns and wings 0; South Coast ..... S. esteroa
2' Annual; mature calyx lobes horned, keeled, wing-margined, not hooded
3. Flowers 3–7 per cluster; bracts generally widest proximal to middle, fresh bracts membranous-margined at base; branches generally decumbent to ascending ..... S. calceoliformis
3' Flowers 1–3 per cluster; bracts generally widest at ± middle, fresh bracts not membranous-margined at base; branches generally spreading ..... S. occidentalis
1' Plant glabrous to hairy; ×-sections of fresh leaves with a dark green ring just inside epidermis, visible at >= 10× magnification; calyx ± radial, lobes in age generally rounded, hooded or keeled, horns and wings 0; ovary occasionally with neck, stigmas hairy-papillate, arising from pit at tip of ovary; seeds horizontal or vertical, lenticular and shiny
4. Bracts generally < leaves, generally not overlapping or covering internodes at stem tips; old leaf scars ± smooth; flowers 0.7–2 mm, generally on distal stems; inflorescence branches slender, 0.4–2 mm diam; generally inland ..... S. nigra
4' Bracts generally = leaves, overlapping, covering internodes at stem tips; old leaf scars knobby; flowers 1–3 mm, generally throughout; inflorescence branches thick, 2–4 mm diam; coastal
5. Plant glabrous to sparsely hairy, generally green to red; ovary ± conic, without obvious neck; salt marshes, Central Coast ..... S. californica
5' Plant generally densely hairy, glaucous; ovary pear-shaped with obvious neck; coastal bluffs, margins of salt marshes, s Central Coast, South Coast, Channel Islands ..... S. taxifolia
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.