|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual to perennial herb, glandular, ± strongly scented. Stem: generally ± branched. Leaf: alternate, generally petioled; blade linear to ovate, entire to lobed, dentate or serrate, base generally tapered. Inflorescence: spikes, panicles, or dense axillary spheric clusters; bracts leaf-like, reduced, or 0. Flower: generally sessile; calyx lobes 1–5, fused or not, flat to keeled, persistent; stamens 1–5; stigmas 1–3. Fruit: achene, ± 1 mm; fruit wall free or attached to seed, thin, smooth to papillate, occasionally densely glandular. Seed: vertical or horizontal, red-brown to black.
± 32 species: temperate; some cultivated for food, medicine. (Greek: obscure, apparently for inconspicuous flowers) [Clemants & Mosyakin 2003 FNANM 4:267–275] Fruit generally required for identification.
Unabridged references: [Wahl 1954 Bartonia 27:1–46]
1. Plant ± sprawling; calyx lobes fused ± to tip, surface netted, tube enclosing fruit ..... D. multifida
1' Plant generally erect; calyx deeply 5-lobed, ± spheric, surface not netted, lobes generally folded over fruit
2. Leaf blade lobed, 3–65 mm; sepals glandular; fruit wall not glandular, adherent to seed; seed margin generally ridged
3. Leaf blade ovate to elliptic, margin irregular-wavy to deeply pinnately lobed; inflorescence spike or panicle-like, occasionally terminal; sepals densely stalked-glandular ..... D. botrys
3' Leaf blade elliptic to lanceolate, margin coarsely wavy-dentate, lobes obtuse; inflorescence ± spheric axillary clusters; sepals sessile-glandular ..... D. pumilio
2' Leaf blade coarsely dentate to jagged-cut or occasionally entire, 15–100 mm; sepals sparsely glandular; fruit wall glandular, generally free from seed; seed margin rounded
4. Inflorescence bracts 0 or reduced, leaf-like, < 2.5 mm ..... D. anthelmintica
4' Inflorescence bracts leaf-like, 3–25 mm
5. Leaves, petioles generally densely glandular, stem glabrous or gland-dotted ..... D. ambrosioides
5' Leaves, petioles, stem glandular, soft-long-wavy-hairy ..... D. chilensis
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.