|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual to small tree. Leaf: ± basal or not; margin entire, ± wavy or not. Inflorescence: raceme or panicle, terminal; lower bracts leaf-like. Flower: calyx 5-lobed, ± enlarging, not fully enclosing fruit; corolla generally radial, generally funnel-shaped to salverform; stamens 5, equal or 1 smaller. Fruit: septicidal capsule. Seed: many, minute, angled.
± 60 species: generally America; Nicotiana tabacum L. widely cultivated, tobacco of commerce. (J. Nicot, said to have introduced tobacco to Eur, 1530–1600) Seriously TOXIC to livestock.
Unabridged references: [Goodspeed 1954 Chron Bot 16:1–536]
1. Shrub, small tree; herbage glabrous, glaucous ..... N. glauca
1' Annual, perennial herb; herbage generally glandular-hairy
2. Corolla 50–75 mm; cauline leaves generally elliptic; basal leaf petioles winged ..... [N. sylvestris]
2' Corolla 15–50(65) mm; cauline leaves generally lanceolate; basal leaf petioles winged or not
3. Upper cauline leaves clasping; perennial herb, base often ± woody; corolla open during day ..... N. obtusifolia
3' Upper cauline leaves not clasping; annual; corolla generally ± closed during day
4. Cauline leaves generally ± sessile (except lowest)
5. Corolla tube 15–20 mm, limb 8–10 mm wide; stamens attached ± at 1 level below tube middle; calyx lobes very unequal ..... N. clevelandii
5' Corolla tube 25–50 mm, limb 20–50 mm wide; stamens attached at various levels generally above tube middle; calyx lobes ± unequal ..... N. quadrivalvis
4' Cauline leaves petioled
6. Calyx dark-striped, lobes narrowly lanceolate, unequal, generally ± >= tube, not pock-marked; plant densely glandular-hairy ..... N. acuminata var. multiflora
6' Calyx not striped, lobes triangular, ± equal, < tube, pock-marked; plant glabrous to ± sparsely glandular-hairy ..... N. attenuata
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.