|University of California, Berkeley|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
1. Annual, 15–60(90) cm; flowers generally 1–5 in leaf axils; calyx lobes lanceolate, acuminate, margins not scarious ..... S. peregrina
1' Perennial herb, occasionally shrubby, 70–180 cm; flowers 3–10(24) per panicle branch; calyx lobes triangular-ovate, acute to rounded, margins generally scarious
2. Inflorescence glandular-long-soft-hairy ..... S. villosa
2' Inflorescence glandular-puberulent to -hairy
3. Corolla dark red to ± black, appearing much-inflated proximally, mouth much-constricted ..... S. atrata
3' Corolla generally less dark, inflated proximally, mouth ± constricted
4. Leaves yellow- to gray-green (dull-green); base wedge-shaped; pedicels slender, generally curved upward; corolla 7–9 mm, 2-colored, upper lobes maroon, lower cream, edges ± pink ..... S. desertorum
4' Leaves dark to light green; base truncate to cordate or occasionally ± wedge-shaped; pedicels slender to ± stout, straight, not curved upward; corolla 8–14 mm, 1–2-colored, red to maroon or ± green-brown throughout, or upper lobes red to maroon and lower paler or ± yellow-green
5. Staminode tip club-shaped to obovate; California Floristic Province ..... S. californica
5' Staminode tip fan-shaped; Klamath Ranges, Cascade Range, Modoc Plateau ..... S. lanceolata
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.