|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Rhizome scaly; bulblets 0. Leaf: basal, sometimes a few cauline; blade ovate, base cordate to reniform, lobes and teeth generally shallow, irregular. Inflorescence: panicle, often spike- or raceme-like; bracts generally scale-like. Flower: radial or ± bilateral; hypanthium partly fused to ovary; calyx lobes equal or not; petals 0 or 5, generally equal, clawed, generally white; stamens 5, generally equal; pistil 1, ovary > 1/2-inferior, chamber 1, placentas 2, parietal. Fruit: capsule. Seed: red-brown, minutely spiny.
50 species: North America. (J.H. von Heucher, German professor of medicine, 1677–1747) Highly variable; needs study.
Unabridged references: [Rosendahl et al. 1936 Minnesota Stud Plant Sci 2:1–180]
1. Styles and generally all stamens included in full flower
2. Petals generally 0; inflorescence narrow, spike-like ..... H. cylindrica
2' Petals present, ± conspicuous; inflorescence more open, panicle or raceme-like
3. Hypanthium + calyx 2–3(4.2) mm, radial; calyx lobes equal, cream to ± yellow, tips pink to ± green ..... H. parvifolia
3' Hypanthium + calyx generally > 3.5 mm, ± bilateral; calyx lobes ± unequal, light pink to red-purple, tips green or not (Heuchera caespitosa complex)
4. Inflorescence glands nearly sessile, stalk ± = gland; leaf blade generally < 15 mm, generally broadly ovate, lobed ± 1/2 to base ..... H. abramsii
4' Inflorescence glands nearly sessile and long-stalked, stalk >> gland; leaf blade generally > 15 mm, generally round to reniform, lobed 1/4–1/3 to base
5. Stamens generally < 1/2 calyx lobes; part of hypanthium free from ovary ± 0.7 mm on short side, ± 1.5 mm on long side — Peninsular Ranges (San Diego Co.) ..... H. brevistaminea
5' Stamens ± = calyx lobes; part of hypanthium free from ovary > 0.8 mm on short side, > 1.8 mm on long side
6. Calyx lobes all well developed ..... H. caespitosa
6' Calyx lobes on long side of hypanthium minute — Peninsular Ranges ..... H. hirsutissima
1' Styles and stamens exserted in full flower
7. Flower ± bilateral; calyx lobes ± equal or not; part of hypanthium fused to ovary ± = long side of free part
8. Petals 2–3 mm, > 0.3 mm wide, oblanceolate, unequal; hypanthium strongly oblique ..... H. parishii
8' Petals 3–6 mm, generally << 0.3 mm wide, thread-like to narrowly oblanceolate, equal; hypanthium slightly oblique ..... H. rubescens
7' Flower ± radial; calyx lobes ± equal; part of hypanthium fused to ovary generally > free part
9. Styles 2–4 mm, exserted; hypanthium broadly obconic, base tapered; inflorescence generally open
10. Hypanthium + calyx 3.5–4.5 mm; leaf blade 6–18 cm wide; n Channel Islands ..... H. maxima
10' Hypanthium + calyx 1.5–3(5) mm; leaf blade 2–10 cm wide; mainland ..... H. micrantha
9' Styles generally <= 1.8 mm, barely exserted; hypanthium bell-shaped, base truncate; inflorescence ± dense or open
11. Leaf blade generally round, base ± truncate; petiole 2–5 cm, hairs short, stiff; >= 1500 m ..... H. merriamii
11' Leaf blade generally ovate, base cordate; petiole 7–20 cm, hairs long, soft; < 500 m ..... H. pilosissima
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.