|University of California, Berkeley|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
1. Leaf generally serrate to crenate over much of margin
2. Leaf tip obtuse or ± notched, oblong-obovate to obovate; pedicels glabrous or sparsely hairy in flower; stones ± black ..... P. fortuneana
2' Leaf tip generally acute, generally oblong-elliptic to lanceolate, elliptic, or ovate (rarely oblanceolate in some Pyracantha coccinea); pedicels generally hairy in flower; stones brown
3. Hypanthium hairy in flower; new growth gray-hairy; leaves on vigorous shoots generally elliptic ..... [P. coccinea]
3' Hypanthium glabrous in flower; new growth rusty-hairy; leaves on vigorous shoots narrow-oblong-elliptic ..... [P. crenulata]
1' Leaf generally entire or with a few well separated low or rounded teeth toward tip
4. Sepals in fruit, young leaves densely gray-hairy abaxially; leaves generally narrowly oblong to ± oblanceolate ..... P. angustifolia
4' Sepals in fruit, young leaves ± glabrous or ± rusty- or yellow-brown-hairy abaxially; leaves narrowly oblanceolate to elliptic
5. Leaves generally widest near middle, tips generally obtuse or abruptly soft-pointed; petals generally ovate, 4–5 mm ..... [P. atalantioides]
5' Leaves generally widest above middle, tips generally truncate or ± notched; petals generally round or widely elliptic, 3–4 mm ..... P. koidzumii
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.