|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Shrub, tree, unarmed; evergreen or deciduous. Leaf: simple, stipuled, petioled, entire. Inflorescence: flowers 1 or clustered at branch tips; pedicel bractlets 0. Flower: hypanthium bractlets 0; sepals persistent; petals clawed, erect, pink to ± red or rose, at least near base, or spreading, white; stamens 8–21, anthers darker after flower; ovary inferior, 2–5-chambered, styles 2–5, free. Fruit: pome, drupe-like, generally orange to red, stones 2–5.
± 400 species: eastern hemisphere; many ornamental. (Latin: quince-like, possibly from leaf shape) [Fryer & Hylmö 2009 Cotoneasters. Timber Press] 2 subgenera, 1 with petals erect, pink to ± red (flower length important), 1 with petals spreading, white (flower width important).
Unabridged references: [Fryer & Hylmö 1998 New Plantsman 5:132–144; Fryer & Hylmö 2009. Cotoneasters: A Comprehensive Guide to Shrubs for Flowers, Fruit, and Foliage. Timber Press, Portland, OR. 344 p.]
1. Plant deciduous
2. Leaf blade 55–150 mm; flowers, fruits generally > 20; anthers purple; petals white, spreading ..... C. frigidus
2' Leaf blade 4–30 mm; flowers, fruits < 5; anthers white; petals pink to ± red, erect
3. Leaf blade generally widely elliptic, 4–14 mm; stamens 8–11; fruit 4–7 mm; branchlets many, planar ..... C. horizontalis
3' Leaf blade generally ovate, 10–30 mm; stamens 20; fruit 7–14 mm; branchlets few, ascending ..... C. simonsii
1' Plant evergreen
4. Leaf blade 5–15 mm, < 8 mm wide; plant sprawling, <= 1 m
5. Leaf blade narrowly elliptic, abaxially densely tomentose ..... C. hodjingensis
5' Leaf blade narrowly oblanceolate, abaxially sparsely hairy ..... C. integrifolius
4' Leaf blade 15–95 mm, > 8 mm wide; plant arching, 1–9 m
6. Petals pink or rose, erect; styles, stones 2–3(4), some > 2 on all plants; fruit orange to red-orange ..... C. franchetii
6' Petals white, spreading; styles, stones 2; fruit bright red
7. Leaf blade 35–95 mm, 17–45 mm wide, thick, adaxially dark green, lateral veins often sunken ..... C. lacteus
7' Leaf blade 15–32 mm, 8–15 mm wide, thin, adaxially ± blue-green, lateral veins not sunken ..... C. pannosus
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.