|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual, perennial herb; stolons and rhizomes generally 0. Stem: decumbent to erect. Leaf: basal and cauline; sheath open ± to base; ligule thinly membranous, acute to truncate, sometimes toothed. Inflorescence: panicle-like; lower branches reflexed to erect in fruit; spikelets stalked. Spikelet: bisexual; glumes < lowest floret, lower glume generally 1-veined, upper 3-veined; florets 2–9; lemma generally firm, back generally rounded, sometimes weakly keeled near tip, margin entire to scabrous-serrate near tip at 10×, glabrous to ± puberulent at base and along the veins in lower 1/2, generally glabrous elsewhere on surface, generally faintly 5-veined; awn 0; palea ± = lemma.
± 120 species: temperate to arctic, North America, Eurasia, southern hemisphere. (B. Puccinelli, botanist, Italy, 1808–1850) [Davis & Consaul 2007 FNANM 24:459–477] Generally on wet saline or alkaline soils in coastal and inland habitats; some species difficult to separate without hand lens. Puccinellia maritima (Huds.) Parl. not in California.
Unabridged references: [Davis 1983 Syst Bot 8:341–353]
1. Annual; remains of previous year's growth not present
2. Lowest lemma 1.8–2.2 mm; lemma tip obtuse to truncate ..... P. parishii
2' Lowest lemma 2.5–4 mm; lemma tip acute ..... P. simplex
1' Perennial herb; previous year's leaves persistent
3. Spikelet stalk glabrous to sparsely scabrous
4. Lemma margin near tip entire or sparsely finely scabrous at 10×; anthers of lowest floret 0.5–1.2 mm; coastal habitats, North Coast ..... P. pumila
4' Lemma margin near tip scabrous-serrate at 10×; anthers of lowest floret 0.4–2 mm; coastal and inland habitats
5. Anthers of lowest floret 1.5–2 mm; inland habitats, Klamath Ranges (Shasta Co.) ..... P. howellii
5' Anthers of lowest floret 0.5–1.4 mm; coastal habitats, North Coast ..... P. nutkaensis (2)
3' Spikelet stalk uniformly scabrous
6. Lowest lemma 1.5–2(2.2) mm; lemma tip obtuse to truncate; lower inflorescence branches spreading to reflexed in fruit; anthers of lowest floret 0.4–0.8 mm ..... P. distans
6' Lowest lemma 2–5 mm; lemma tip acute or acuminate to obtuse; lower inflorescence branches erect to reflexed in fruit; anthers of lowest floret 0.5–2 mm
7. Cauline leaf blade inrolled, 1–2 mm wide when flat; lemma tip acute, margin near tip generally entire, sometimes sparsely finely scabrous or scabrous-serrate at 10× anthers of lowest floret 1–2 mm ..... P. lemmonii
7' Cauline leaf blade flat to inrolled, 1–6 mm wide when flat; lemma tip acute to obtuse, margin near tip scabrous-serrate at 10× anthers of lowest floret 0.5–2 mm
8. Cauline leaf blade 1.5–6 mm when flat; lowest lemma (2.2)3–4.5(5) mm; coastal habitats, North Coast ..... P. nutkaensis (2)
8' Cauline leaf blade 1–4 mm when flat; lowest lemma (2)2.2–3(3.5) mm; generally inland habitats, occasionally coastal ..... P. nuttalliana
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.