|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Perennial from rhizomes ( annual).
Stem: generally rhizomatous, base decumbent, erect above, generally rooting at lower nodes.
Leaf: sheath closed to near top; ligule thin, membranous, acute; blade flat or folded, only midrib prominent.
Inflorescence: panicle-like, 15–50 cm, erect.
Spikelet: glumes < lowest floret, margin translucent, 1-veined; axis breaking above glumes and between florets; florets 8–16; lemma strongly 5–11-veined, veins not converging, ending short of tip, tip margin translucent; palea ± = lemma, keel prominent, ± curved; anthers 2(3).
± 50 species: temperate worldwide, freshwater wetland and aquatic habitats. (Greek: sweet, from taste of grain) [Barkworth & Anderton 2007 FNANM 24:68–88]
1. Spikelet ovoid; inflorescence open, branches spreading
2. Lemma tip ± flat; anthers 3 ..... G. grandis
2' Lemma tip boat-shaped; anthers 2
3. Lf blade 6–15 mm wide; anther 0.5–0.8 mm; stem 60–150 cm, 2.5–8 mm diam; lower glume 0.8–1.5 mm ..... G. elata
3' Lf blade 2–6 mm wide; anther 0.2–0.6 mm; stem 20–130 cm, 1.5–5 mm diam; lower glume 0.4–1.2 mm ..... G. striata
1' Spikelet cylindric; inflorescence narrow, branches appressed
4. Lemma glabrous between barely scabrous veins ..... G. borealis
4' Lemma scabrous throughout
5. Lemma 2.5–4(4.5) mm, tip truncate to broadly rounded, crenate to entire ..... G. leptostachya
5' Lemma (4)4.5–8 mm, tip acute to acuminate, generally lobed or strongly dentate
6. Spikelet (18)20–40 mm; lemma (5.5)6–8 mm, tip entire, acute to acuminate; anther 1.5–3 mm ..... G. fluitans
6' Spikelet 10–23 mm; lemma 4–6 mm, tip generally lobed or irregularly dentate; anthers 0.3–1.5 mm
7. Annual or perennial herb, tufted; rhizome generally absent; leaf blade (2)3–12 cm, 1.5–6(8) mm wide; lemma tip generally 3-lobed; palea 0.2–1.5 mm >= lemma ..... G. declinata
7' Perennial from creeping rhizome, often mat-forming; leaf blade 20–30 cm, (3)4–13 mm wide; lemma tip entire to variously dentate-crenate; palea <= lemma ..... G. ×occidentalis
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.