|University of California, Berkeley|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
1. Style present; stigma head-like, lobes 4–11 ..... P. heterophyllum
1' Style 0; stigma disk-like, lobes 4–20
2. Cauline leaf base clasping; fruit 3–5 cm, round ..... [P. somniferum]
2' Cauline leaf base not clasping; fruit 1–2 cm, narrowly obovate to round
3. Peduncle hairs appressed; leaf segments linear to lanceolate; fruit bristly
4. Fruit oblong to club-shaped, hairs sparse, soft ..... [P. argemone]
4' Fruit obovate to round, hairs dense, stiff ..... P. hybridum
3' Peduncle hairs 0 or spreading; leaf segments oblong to lanceolate; fruit glabrous
5. Petals 10–20 mm; peduncle glabrous or soft-hairy; fruit narrowly obovate; native, after fire or disturbance ..... P. californicum
5' Petals 20–40 mm; peduncle bristly; fruit widely obovate to round; alien, from cultivation ..... P. rhoeas
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.