|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Glabrous, glandular, or hairy. Leaf: linear, lanceolate or elliptic to widely ovate, generally entire. Flower: parts in 4s to 9s, generally in 5s to 7s; corolla present or not; filaments free or fused at base. Fruit: 5–6-valved or circumscissile, ± spheric or ± ovoid.
170 species: generally northern temperate. (Greek: loose dagger)
Unabridged references: [Hao et al. 2004 Molec Phylogen Evol 31:323–339]
1. Leaves ± whorled near stem tip, with smaller leaves proximal to near tip or not
2. Corolla generally white; pedicels > leaves ..... L. europaea
2' Corolla generally pink to rose; pedicels < leaves ..... L. latifolia
1' Leaves distributed ± evenly along stem, of ± equal size
3. Corolla 0; calyx white, pink, red, or lavender, corolla-like; pedicels ± 0 ..... L. maritima
3' Corolla present; calyx green, not corolla-like; pedicels 0–5 cm
4. Calyx > corolla ..... L. minima
4' Calyx <= corolla
5. Corolla yellow; fruit 5–6-valved; perennial herb
6. Stem creeping; flowers 1 in leaf axils; corolla lobes ovate ..... L. nummularia
6' Stem erect; flowers in tight racemes in leaf axils; corolla lobes linear ..... L. thyrsiflora
5' Corolla salmon, pink, red, blue, blue-white; fruit circumscissile; annual or perennial herb
7. Annual; corollas 4–7 mm; pedicels recurved in fruit ..... L. arvensis
7' Perennial herb; corollas 5–12 mm; pedicels ascending in fruit ..... [L. monelli]
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.