|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual to perennial herb, generally cushion- or mat-forming, occasionally scapose, hairs simple, forked, or many-branched.
Leaf: basal generally rosetted; cauline entire or shallowly toothed, base generally not lobed, occasionally 0.
Inflorescence: generally many-flowered, elongated or not; bracts generally 0.
Flower: sepals bases equal; petals generally short-clawed, yellow or white (lavender or red).
Fruit: silique or silicle, dehiscent, linear to lanceolate or ovate, occasionally ovoid or spheric, cylindric or flat parallel to septum, unsegmented; stigma entire.
Seed: in 2 rows; wing generally 0.
370+ species: n hemisphere, South America mtns. (Greek: acrid, describing taste of crucifer leaves) [Al-Shehbaz & Windham 2007 Harvard Pap Bot 12:409–419]
Unabridged references: [Beilstein & Windham 2003 Syst Bot 28:584–592; Hitchcock 1941 Univ Washington Publ Biol 11:1–132; Koch & Al-Shehbaz 2002 Ann Missouri Bot Gard 89:88–109; Rollins & Price 1988 Aliso 12:17–27; Schulz 1927 Pflanzenreich IV 105(Heft 89):1–396]
1. Annual or biennial
2. Petals deeply 2-lobed; inflorescence axis generally wavy in fruit ..... D. verna
2' Petals not divided; inflorescence axis straight in fruit
3. Style (0.8)1–3.5 mm ..... D. corrugata (2)
3' Style <= 0.4 mm
4. Infl umbel-like in fruit ..... [D. reptans]
4' Infl elongated to ± congested, not umbel-like in fruit
5. Infl axis glabrous
6. Cauline leaves (0)1–5; pedicels 3–14 mm, <= fruit ..... D. albertina (2)
6' Cauline leaves 4–12(15); pedicels 7–28(35) mm, > fruit ..... [D. nemorosa]
5' Infl axis hairy
7. Basal leaves not rosetted, late-season flowers without petals; seeds 0.5–0.7 mm, ovoid ..... D. cuneifolia
7' Basal leaves rosetted, late-season flowers with petals; seeds 0.8–1.1 mm, oblong ..... D. praealta (2)
8. Basal leaves abaxially glabrous (leaf margins hairy)
9. Style (1)1.6–3 mm
10. Fr glabrous; seed 3–4.5 mm wide, round, winged ..... D. carnosula
10' Fr hairy; seed 1–1.6 mm, oblong, wingless ..... D. howellii
9' Style 0.1–0.8 mm
11. Plant cushion-forming; leaf midvein prominent ..... D. densifolia (2)
11' Plant. not cushion-forming; leaf midvein obscure
12. Pedicel base not decurrent; fruit 1.5–3 mm wide, narrowly lanceolate ..... D. cruciata
12' Pedicel base decurrent; fruit 2.2–4.5 mm wide, ovate to lance-elliptic ..... D. incrassata (2)
8' Basal leaves abaxially hairy
13. Plant cushion-forming; flowers yellow; cauline leaves 0
14. Style 1.5–3.8 mm; seeds winged ..... D. pterosperma
14' Style 0.1–0.8(1) mm; seeds wingless
15. Lf hairs sessile, comb-like, 7–16-rayed, long axis parallel to midvein ..... D. oligosperma
15' Lf hairs stalked, not comb-like, 2–12-rayed, long axis not parallel to midvein
16. Fr not symmetric, flat, generally twisted ..... D. sierrae
16' Fr symmetric, flat or base inflated, not twisted
17. Lvs abaxially sparsely hairy, hairs 2–4-rayed; fruit flat ..... D. densifolia (2)
17' Lvs abaxially densely hairy, hairs 2–12-rayed; fruit inflated proximally
18. Infl generally elongated in fruit; basal leaves ciliate, adaxial hairs simple, some 2-rayed ..... D. novolympica
18' Infl umbel-like in fruit; basal leaves not ciliate, adaxial hairs 5–12-rayed ..... D. subumbellata
13' Plant not cushion-forming; flowers white (yellow); cauline leaves (0)1–many
19. Infl axis glabrous
20. Hairs on basal leaves 8–12-rayed on abaxial surface ..... D. lonchocarpa (2)
20' Hairs on basal leaves 2–5-rayed on abaxial surface, occasionally also simple
21. Fr base ± inflated; petals white; inflorescence umbel-like in fruit ..... D. monoensis (2)
21' Fr base flat; petals yellow; inflorescence elongated in fruit
22. Seeds 8–12; pedicels decurrent at base ..... D. incrassata (2)
22' Seeds (12)14–44; pedicels not decurrent at base
23. Perennial, short-lived, not tufted; seeds 20–44; style <= 0.1 mm; petals 2–3 mm ..... D. albertina (2)
23' Perennial, not short-lived, tufted; seeds 12–20; style (0.2)0.5–2 mm; petals 4–7 mm
24. Seeds winged; basal leaves not ciliate; fruit generally not twisted, straight, occasionally ± twisted ..... D. asterophora
24' Seeds wingless; basal leaves ciliate; fruit twisted, curved ..... D. sharsmithii
19' Infl axis hairy
25. Basal leaves with simple hairs; petals persistent ..... D. longisquamosa
25' Basal leaves with some branched hairs; petals deciduous
26. Style (0.8)1–3.5 mm; petals yellow
27. Cauline leaves 0(1) ..... D. saxosa
27' Cauline leaves 4–33
28. Fr oblong, not twisted; seeds 10–20; most proximal flowers bracted ..... D. aureola
28' Fr elliptic, generally twisted; seeds 16–28; flowers not bracted ..... D. corrugata (2)
26' Style 0.1–0.6 mm; petals white (yellow)
29. Lf hairs simple or 2-rayed
30. Fls yellow; fruit flat, ± twisted, 2.5–5 mm wide ..... D. lemmonii
30' Fls white; fruit ± inflated proximally, not twisted, (1.2)1.5–2.5 mm wide ..... D. monoensis (2)
29' Lf hairs generally 4–12-rayed
31. Fr hairs 2–7-rayed only
32. Infl not bracted; plant tufted; stem (1)2–10(15) cm ..... D. breweri
32' Infl bracted proximally; plant not tufted; stem (6)10–30(38) cm ..... D. cana
31' At least some fruit hairs simple
33. Infl 8–30(37)-flowered; leaves dentate; seeds (24)30–52 ..... D. praealta (2)
33' Infl 3–13-flowered; leaves entire; seeds 16–32
34. Lf hairs on both surfaces 4–8-rayed; inflorescence axis not wavy in fruit; sepals persistent ..... D. californica
34' Lf hairs on abaxial surface 8–12-rayed; inflorescence axis ± wavy in fruit; sepals deciduous ..... D. lonchocarpa (2)
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.